The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Default Anyone using medium gauge strings on a Martin 000-15sm?

I did not want to hijack a current thread singing the praises for the Martin 000-15SM, but I was wondering if anyone has tried medium gauge strings instead of lights? If so, was there a significant difference? I am very tempted to try heavier strings on mine.

Jerry
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Mine came with medium gauge Martin strings which I found sort of unbalanced tone wise. Awfully bright for a mahagony guitar. I switched to Elixer 11's and enjoy the sound much better. But since I changed brands along with gauge, it's difficult to judge the actual difference the gauge made.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:17 PM

jbeecham, I've owned a few 12 fret Triple O's, and currently own a custom-made koa and spruce Clark guitar in that body style, built by a guitar builder here in the Anchorage area.

Your Martin will handle medium gauge strings just fine. Whether you prefer the tone of them will depend mostly on your playing style and right hand attack. But the guitar itself can handle mediums without any problem.

So try them and see how you like them. You're not going to hurt anything by doing that, though the action might need to be tweaked to accommodate them if they end up being your longterm choice for that guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanks Wade. I am going to give them a try!

Jerry
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 AM

Another thing to try is a set of mixed med / lights. Most makers have them. They give some nice extra fullness and sustain to the low end without sacrificing playability on the high strings. They work especially well on smaller bodied guitars. I switched from Elixer mixed to Martin Retro MLJ13's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion