The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Smile Suggestion Needed on Purchase of Acoustic Guitar

Hi Friends,

I am a new member in this forum. And I have gone thru various threads on guitar purchases with a lot of interest. I am in the market for a acoustic guitar and I have a few questions, and would really appreciate your help on the same -

1. My plan is to spend around $300+ - I have zeroed down to the following guitars -
a. Seagull Entourage
b. Breedlove Discovery
c. Yamaha FG (In that order)
Keeping in mind the price differences between the above, what is the best bang for money? Or do you suggest I look at other guitars.

2. What is the experience/advantages-disadvantages buying the guitar from an online retailer vs a Guitar Center vs a local music shop? I must point out that the local music shop has limited number of instruments - for a particular kind of guitar they do not have more than one piece. So I either buy what is on the floor or wait.

Your suggestions and advice on the above will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
SP
Old 03-11-2016, 03:58 PM

Default Choices

I'm a big fan of Breedlove, so it hurts me to say that the entry level Breedloves are nothing special.

All of the Seagull's that I've played have been great guitars for the money though.

No experience with the Yamahas. They just don't appeal to me and I pass them by when I encounter them.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Well ,spending other peoples money on guitars is what we do best.

I don't know anything about the Breedlove but I would go with a Yamaha between the other two.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:59 PM

All the guitars you listed are good and viable choices.

Of all the choices I personally would purchase a Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo.

Great tone. Big enough to have power and small enough to play comfortably. It is my favorite in the Seagull lineup. Lower end Breedloves offer a somewhat brighter tone and that I don't care for.

Yamaha makes great starter guitars but I far prefer the Seagull MJ to any of the FG series I have played. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-11-2016, 04:07 PM

Another vote for the Seagull...
Old 03-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Seagull ... +1 ...

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-11-2016, 04:16 PM

I'm a fan of the Godin guitar family, and have a Godin, a couple of Seagulls and an Art & Lutherie. I think they are a great bang for the buck guitar.
I recommend Seagull.

Which Seagull Entourage are you looking at ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Smile Follow up

I am looking at the Seagull Entourage Rustic.

Also appreciate your response on the second part of my query -

What is the experience/advantages-disadvantages buying the guitar from an online retailer vs a Guitar Center vs a local music shop? I must point out that the local music shop has limited number of instruments - for a particular kind of guitar they do not have more than one piece. So I either buy what is on the floor or wait.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

It is always important to try a guitar as part of the buying process. Specs are one thing, but how it sounds to you and feels to you, is another.

So, as long as the online retailer has an acceptable return policy, buying online is just fine. Same holds true with a local shop, whether that be a smaller store, or a place like Guitar Center.

Just remember that if you are trying out a guitar with the possibility of a return, handle the guitar with extra care. Should it not work for you, the retailer will need to resell it. So, return policies are a perk of buying from a retailer of any size, just make sure the return is in the same condition as when purchased.

Good luck in your search!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 PM

My vote is for a Yamaha FG730. Have only tried breedlove and seagull at guitar center. Of the 2, I like the seagull. I picked up a used FG730 for my brother when he said he wanted to learn and had it for about a week to mess with. I tried the Yamaha previously at guitar center and really liked the way it sounded. The only thing I dislike about it is that after a string change, it takes a little longer than my other guitars for the strings to settle in. I really dislike the way it sounds right after a string change. You really should try all 3 and see what you like.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Since you didn't list where you live, I'll ask you, do you live somewhere in Michigan?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 PM

It might help if we knew where you were in Michigan (displaced Michigan native here). Could be worth your while to make a trip to East Lansing to the holy land -- Elderly Instruments -- where you can see everything under the sun. I suggest a road trip to a better store.

I like Seagulls and recommend them all the time as a first guitar. The Yamaha's also get lots of positive comments around here, although personally I have not given them a serious look in a long time.

As for mail order, you are always taking some chance buying sight-unseen. Be sure that there is a good return policy and be prepared to pay for return shipping if something doesn't click with you. Given your budget, that may be a big factor. While I prefer to support local stores (when they have what I want) I don't hesitate to mail order when needed. There is also Craigslist and other used sources, where you might get more guitar for the money. Do you have a guitar playing friend that might be able to assist you with selecting a good one?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:46 PM

Default Follow up

I live in the Detroit Metro area....north western side....

And no I do not have a guitar playing friend to assist me in my choice. I did play guitar when I was a kid and now am planning to take it up again (some call it mid-life crisis)

Last edited by sp-michigan; 03-11-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Adding more info....
Old 03-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I've no experience with Breedlove, so I can not offer any expertise with it. However, I did try a Seagull locally a while ago, which is made by Godin in Canada, whom also made the Art & Lutherie nylon cedar parlor guitar I own. Seagulls are great, at least the one I tried, so there is that.

I would also try out the Yamaha as well. I have tried out the FG's locally as well, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Price was reasonable, but didn't include a gig bag or case, so there is taking that into consideration.

With online, you are taking a chance, but sometimes when you don't have much options as far as what you are after.... Just make sure the store you order from has a good return policy.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Another vote for the Seagull!

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, breedlove, seagull entourage, yamaha