The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST View Post
How is the American OM-SM not a traditional Breedlove? Does it lack the bridge truss or something.

My Oregon series concert does not have the truss. The American does. VERY different bracing patterns and voices.
No bridge truss. Old school belly bridge. Whole thing is based of "traditional" acoustics. If the pic showed the headstock it's a squared martin-esque one and not the pointy or wavy one.

Wasn't meant as a knock, just that it looks different than a "traditional" Breedlove.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
No bridge truss. Old school belly bridge. Whole thing is based of "traditional" acoustics. If the pic showed the headstock it's a squared martin-esque one and not the pointy or wavy one.

Wasn't meant as a knock, just that it looks different than a "traditional" Breedlove.
Don't worry. I'm not mad atcha.

I am not sure what to think about all of the different headstocks. For the Revival series, it makes sense to have the straight one. The wavy one ... not sure what to make of that one. Both of mine have the triangular one, which I find very visually appealing, in addtion to any practical benefits.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
I haven't given Breedlove a look and perhaps I should have.
What model designations separate the USA models from Imports?

I LOVE the sound of my Martin OMC-28 BUT can't get used to the wider neck and string spacing. It's 1.75" at the nut and 2 1/4" bridge spacing.
I also have an old Guild D40, my first good acoustic, and it's a bit small at 1 5/8" at the nut. So……I need an 00, 000, or OM, preferably with a cutaway, that has a 1 11/16" Nut and 1 1/8" String spacing.

Any suggestions for a Breedlove that fits that bill?
One area where I think Breedlove could use a kick in the butt is on how frequently they switch around their product lines. Some folks suggest this is to avoid sales of used guitars from cannibalizing the new ones. For all I know, that is true.

Currently, the imports are the Solo, Studio and Stage series. The domestics are the Oregon, Premier, Legacy, Master Class and Exotic. There are not a whole lot of visual distinctions between imports and domestic instruments. That might be something else I would advocate for. But what the heck do I know about it?

Both of my Breedloves are the entry level American-made products, and I traded in Larrivee 03 series guitars on each one. I think this is the part of the market where Breedlove really shines. Once you get into the $2,500 and up category, there are more better options, including stuff like the Martin OM21. But at this price point of about a grand to $1,500, you might get a Martin like the GPCPA4 with various components made out of cardboard and epoxy or something like that -- and may be made in Mexico. Don't get me wrong. There are some nice guitars made in Mexico, and at the same time US or even Canadian guitars can command a premium due to lower volumes and the perception that manufacturers source their lower-end models from other locales.

In the intermediate term, Breedlove will probably give Larrivee, which I also think very highly of, a good run for their money.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

nice pictures people here is mine

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM

One suggestion. When you post the pics, and they are nice, please post model #'s and USA or Import so the uniformed, like me, know what we're looking at.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
One suggestion. When you post the pics, and they are nice, please post model #'s and USA or Import so the uniformed, like me, know what we're looking at.

Thanks.
Sorry yes good idea , mine above is Breedlove Master Class " Phoenix" USA

Ziricote back and sides Redwood top

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM

My humble contribution C25/SSe American - made in US in Bend, Oregon solid Sitka spruce over solid Sapele B&S. My 1st solid wood acoustic - love, love, love it! But GASing for a Pheonix (see KevWind) since I saw heard one played by Jarabe De Paulo live.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I am tempted to call, just out of curiosity, but would not waste their time. My wife wants to redo the kitchen after all. And if she even THOUGHT I was looking at another guitar, much less one with a sinker rosewood top, I would be done for.
Hey Ham,

I'd hate to see you in trouble at home, so I forced myself to talk to Ted about it this morning. That little beauty should be arriving at my office later this week

Cheers,
Mark
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by markallen View Post
Hey Ham,

I'd hate to see you in trouble at home, so I forced myself to talk to Ted about it this morning. That little beauty should be arriving at my office later this week

Cheers,
Mark
I appreciate your help with that.

Let me know if you want to sell at some point.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your help with that.

Let me know if you want to sell at some point.
Always glad to help a fellow AGF'r maintain a happy marriage. I'll gladly give you first right of refusal if I decide to sell at some point.

Mark
Old 07-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sorry yes good idea , mine above is Breedlove Master Class " Phoenix" USA

Ziricote back and sides Redwood top
Dude, that is just sick looking.

How would you characterize the sonic contribution of that redwood top?

I have been intrigued by Redwood, although Spruce does the job pretty well for someone of my humble needs.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM

The most responsive guitar I ever played was a Breelove, Cedar over Mahogany, master class I believe. a light strum and you could feel it through the whole body.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Breedloves

MMMM, Maple:

Mermaid:

Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dude, that is just sick looking.

How would you characterize the sonic contribution of that redwood top?

I have been intrigued by Redwood, although Spruce does the job pretty well for someone of my humble needs.
Humm ? I'm not sure I could give an accurate delineation of just the redwood top, perhaps one of the luthiers could.

The overall tone in combo with the ziricote is somewhat complex in the overtones. And it has an amazing amount of low end for a shallow small concert bodied guitar . It presents a very different sound from my Taylor 810 ce.
Also I go against the norm somewhat as it is billed as an excellent finger style instrument and no doubt it is, but I play flat pic and IMO it is superb for that as well.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Default Breedlove Koa Master Class

Built in the Breedlove Custom Shop in May, 2011. Dead mint, never played outside of home. A phenomenal fingerstyle instrument, far and away the most beautiful (the photos don't do it justice) and easiest playing guitar I've ever owned).
-Concert body with sharp cutaway
-Western Red Cedar soundboard
-Koa Body
-Rosewood Binding
-Polished ebony headstock
-Bone Nut and Saddle
-Gold Gotoh tuners with ebony buttons
-Lyric pickup with soundhole volume control

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660

Last edited by GELewis; 07-14-2014 at 09:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove