The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Default Any thoughts on a D'angelico EX-63?

I'm being offered one in trade for my Guild Starfire V (import). They seem of equal value. I'm interested since some of what I play seems to be quasi- gypsy jazz, boogie-woogie and blues.
The EX-63 is a round-hole, full body archtop about the size and shape as a J200. I've seen the reviews and youtubes. It seems to have a pleasant, albeit nasally sound. Difficult to tell how loud they are. I'd probably be playing it strictly acoustic.

Anyone ever own one of these or try them out?

Last edited by swampyankee; 02-04-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 AM

There are much better sounding affordable acoustic archtops out there, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-04-2020, 12:57 PM

Although there are scant reviews for the EX-63, what there are don't realy describe it in terms of a great tone, etc., and the more I listen to the You Tube videos, I've decided it's not really a useful sound for me.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM

I recently(in the last year) purchased a new Excel 63.Now,I had'nt owned/played an acoustic guitar in over 30 yrs before this one.Strictly electric since the mid 80's.I went to a local store to try out the 63 and an f hole D'Angelico,I forget the model at the moment.The 63 was much louder,fuller sounding acoustically.I didnt try them out amplified,I have no intention of using it thru an amp.With some tweaking I got the action super low,which I like very much,the action is very close to any electric.I find the tone and response of this guitar to be very good,there may be better sounding archtops out there in the same price as mr beau pointed out, but this one is fine by me.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:16 AM

As it turned out, I turned down the offer for a trade, which worked out perfect because I sold my guild for cash the next day.
The D'angelico would have been a diversion from my original mission to acquire a nice dreadnaught.
I found and bought a nice Gibson J35, and life is complete...for now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops