The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I don't recall any cosmetic issues with the RS Shorty (SG-FLE) I had, other than the glossy top was more semi-gloss. The action on it was quite high, but Michael from McNichols put a bone saddle on it and did a set up. It played decent after that.

After the discussion about the CF sheets layout here, I looked at each of my Emeralds - all three have the weave at a diagonal across the full back, so no center mis-match to deal with. There is shading on each of the edges, something I requested a bit more of on the X10 (the red looks good with the black edges). The only place where the weave isn't a perfect flow is on the back of the neck of the X10 where it meets the headstock - compound curves, so (to me) that is understandable. The workmanship on each is beautiful.

Different way of laying up that each manufacturer uses. Seems that both are making very nice guitars.

I would attribute any non-matching on the weaves (as on the back of the RS being discussed here) as normal. A gouge in the back being less than a perfect repair isn't normal. That should have been disclosed. I don't have any inside information on how many guitars RainSong is making, but I can't imagine that they would intentionally put that out, thinking it might slip through unnoticed. Following the posts here, it looks like they are stepping up to take care of the buyer.

I would have to think hard about keeping a guitar that plays and sounds great, with perhaps a discount offered (no idea if that was every floated to the buyer) for a cosmetic issue. After the discussion here that might be a tough sell.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:17 AM

My Parlor. I don't have picks of the backside of my shorty or 12 handy

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Again, it was something that someone pointed out to me...It was hardly a “problem” relative to real issues with the guitar. My co-worker is used to looking at really high quality carbon fiber bits going on expensive sports cars...I guess expectations around CF guitars are a little different ;-0
I'll bet even a $200K car is going to hide the seams with opaque finish. It just isn't practical.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 AM

send it back...looks like this was a demo, used in some capacity
Old 01-25-2020, 07:13 PM

UPDATE

Received the replacement unit...

I’ll start by saying that what I’m about to say is meant to be the simple truth of the matter, such that others doing research ahead of a purchase down the line can have this information for their consideration. I’m not trying to cause problems. Things are what they are at this point. Just trying to keep it real...Nothing I’m saying here is unfair. It is the truth.

At the end of the day RainSong are making good guitars. The playability is great, as is the sound...for sure...I like it...These, of course, are the most important aspects of any instrument. I’m happy to report that everything is great in this regard with the replacement. I’m also happy to report that this unit doesn’t have the same wolf note problem that the other unit had (some of you may recall my post on that). This is good. Thank god...lol...

It also doesn’t have any patch/fill jobs on the back like the other one, or super obvious top edge rough edge problems, and it appears that the back this time was only made of 2 separate pieces of carbon like one would expect (not multiple pieces spliced together like the other unit, which was not good).

The other unit had like 12 or so, what I would call, nicks/divots all around the top edge. This one only has a handful, and they are not as bad. It’s fine I guess. I can live with them...they are not noticeable overall...

What amazes me is that this unit, like the other one, has a tremendous amount of light scratching all over the guitar...front, back, sides...Not just a little....a lot...And I’m not exaggerating...it’s everywhere...

When we first took it out of the case at the store I almost had a heart attack it looked so bad. The lights in the guitar store were pretty unforgiving. We took the original guitar out of the case in the store and it too looked just as bad in this regard in that lighting...At that point I was less concerned because the original guitar’s superficial scratching, although less than ideal, certainly doesn’t look as bad in more normal lighting conditions...It was the same thing when I got the replacement home...It didn’t look nearly as bad when I got home...

Most are light, so I’m hopeful I can polish them out...The only scratch that is less than superficial is one to the left of the bridge on the top over an inch in length. I can catch it with a nail and hear a click so it is not what I would call superficial. I can only notice it in certain light angles so I’m still hopeful that maybe that one will come out with some polish? Not sure...Hope so...

I cannot understand how a guitar that is supposed to be “factory fresh” would come out with that much superficial scratching on it. If you look at other guitars from other manufacturers this is not what you see on factory fresh guitars, so I don’t know if it is just a process problem in how they’re doing things? I have no idea, but it is notable. This is 2 guitars in a row so this is normal for them from my perspective. The top on the one I’m returning was probably better overall if I’m being honest.

Bottom line: I’m keeping the guitar and will try my best to polish out the scratching. If anyone has any suggestions on what to use I would appreciate it. I want a carbon fiber in the stable for the flexibility it brings. For this reason I am willing to put up with a little more. It is obvious to me that a replacement again would bring the exact same issues, so there is no point.

Finishing is definitely not their strong suit as far as I can tell. On a fine wood guitar I would never accept this on a new purchase. Not a chance. I will roll with it in this case and let it be.

There you have it...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I can only speak from my experience with Rainsong guitars over the last 15 years. 4 guitars. Never a problem and their finishes were all top notch. One was the rough surface though. Which is of no help to you at all. It really is baffling when I read your posts. I think something is really wrong somewhere there. Distributor ? Shipping? I would contact RS to see what they recommend for polishing. I would use a Meguiars product. I hope you find a lot of enjoyment with the Rainsong..
Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I can only speak from my experience with Rainsong guitars over the last 15 years. 4 guitars. Never a problem and their finishes were all top notch. One was the rough surface though. Which is of no help to you at all. It really is baffling when I read your posts. I think something is really wrong somewhere there. Distributor ? Shipping? I would contact RS to see what they recommend for polishing. I would use a Meguiars product. I hope you find a lot of enjoyment with the Rainsong..
I have no doubt I will have a lot of enjoyment with it. As I said, it is a fine instrument for sure. At this point with a little polishing I’m sure all will be well...Just the one scratch that is a bit questionable...It may be fine...I just feel a new factory fresh instrument should not have any of these types of issues...perhaps I’m being too picky...not based on my experience seeing other new guitars...

Certainly much better than the first guitar...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-25-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I just feel a new factory fresh instrument should not have any of these types of issues...not based on my experience seeing other new guitars...
You're correct. I haven't experienced those kinds of issues on any of my Rainsongs...
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Guest 928

Does the deep scratch go into the fiber? If not, I'd consider filling the scratch before polishing.

I'd also consider sending it back. This is not a normal problem for Rainsong and the company should be as concerned as you are about what's happened here. One bad one is bad enough; two is not acceptable.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Does the deep scratch go into the fiber? If not, I'd consider filling the scratch before polishing.

I'd also consider sending it back. This is not a normal problem for Rainsong and the company should be as concerned as you are about what's happened here. One bad one is bad enough; two is not acceptable.
+1 totally agree with this. While this is certainly a scenario nobody wants to face it's what should be done. If you want to attempt polishing out the scratches I totally agree with jdinco, Meguiar's offer all kinds of polish depending on the size of the scratches. If you have access to an orbital polisher it will make the job even easier. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

Fill it with what? I just figured it would cleanup with basic polishing, and maybe a little wax which would fill anything left after the polishing...What specifically did you have in mind? I'm far from an expert on polishing and detailing guitars...

I doubt that it is in the fibre...It is not super deep because from certain angles you cannot see it...That would be my silly assessment anyway...

To be the clear, the guitar a pretty good except for all this superficial scratching all over the place, and the one on the top that is potentially a little more than superficial...Outside of that there is nothing wrong with it...

This is what they sent me after assuring me on the phone that diligence would be applied to ensure that I would be happy with the replacement. This is what they sent, so as far as I'm concerned the conversation is over. They have satisfied me to a point, but it is clear to me at this point that they are not capable of meeting my full expectations. This is obvious. I was told on the phone that they make great guitars, but not perfect ones. On this I would now definitely agree. I was also told that what I received would be to "their standards". Alright, well I guess that is what I received.

If I was sending it back at this point I would not even bother have them replace it, and that is counter to my goals of having a secondary carbon fibre guitar in my stable for flexibility/function in my climate. My primary guitar will be my Yamaha LL56 which I am currently waiting for.

I will live with it. I honestly can't be bothered at this point...I'll do the best I can with it to clean up the scratching and that will be that...The only scratching that is all that noticeable in regular lighting conditions without looking hard is the deeper single one, and I don't feel it can actually be all that deep if it is not apparent from every angle as I said above...

I will be reasonable about things in the context of my goals given that it is not atrocious like the first one. I've come to terms with it.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-26-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
+1 totally agree with this. While this is certainly a scenario nobody wants to face it's what should be done. If you want to attempt polishing out the scratches I totally agree with jdinco, Meguiar's offer all kinds of polish depending on the size of the scratches. If you have access to an orbital polisher it will make the job even easier. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Appreciate your thoughts...So I gather you guys are just talking about regular old car products? Not some guitar specific product?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fill it with what?
Drop fill with Super Glue depending on depth. Otherwise you might be able to use fine micro mesh to "sand" the clear coat. I learned to do this on my recent Emerald X20 repair of two chips in the clear coat...

Old 01-26-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Drop fill with Super Glue depending on depth. Otherwise you might be able to use fine micro mesh to "sand" the clear coat. I learned to do this on my recent Emerald X20 repair of two chips in the clear coat...

It's certainly nothing near as bad as in the video...that's for sure...There is that ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Just down noodling around on it a bit...I really feel the need to restate that it definitely is a fine guitar. I really enjoy playing it. It feels and sounds VERY good. I just love it.

I think it is all gonna be to my satisfaction in this end. That is my feeling. I would much rather see RainSong take care of any necessary polishing before it leaves their factory if there is, indeed, some part of their process after the finishing that is doing the micro marring all over the place...but whatevs...

At least my impression is that I can get it to where I want it to be in the end without the hassle of having to send it back etc...That's my feeling without being a finish polishing expert.

If anyone has any other specific tips towards what specifically I could consider doing (other products, other techniques) I'm all ears...I will probably just wait until the first string change before I do anything...

Some of the most noticeable micro marring is clearly to do with the installation of the bridge...it was the same on the other one...It is all over the place north and south of the bridge...Having the strings off will make that and things generally much easier to deal with at the time...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 01-26-2020 at 04:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber