The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Default The G7th Nashville capo ????

Howdy Everyone, Has anyone tried
The G7th Nashville capo ? Looking for another quick change capo and ran across these online.

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-16-2021, 10:12 AM

I have a couple of them.

It's quick-change spring clamp capo, so it's easy to apply, remove, reposition, and store on the headstock. If those are important points for you, it's likely something you will like. You can use it without paying much attention with one hand, which can be nice is some busy situations.

Quick change capos have a rep of moving the tuning off more that those with adjustable clamping tension, but even with a Shubb or the like I usually check and tweak. Placing nearer the fret helps. The pad material on my G7 Nashville adjusts nicely to various fretboard radius curves and it works better than most capos do on 12 strings, assuming the capo can cover the width of the neck.

I haven't used a Kyser (the popularizer of the quick change capo) in forever, but I think the G7 may the best of its kind, and on some guitars and in some situations I'll use it over a Shubb, which has been my go-to capo for years now.

Hope any of that helps.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-16-2021, 10:29 AM

Thank you very much for the post and great information. I appreciate it.

Think I will order a couple and give them a try.

Have a great day
Bill
Old 05-16-2021, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
The G7th Nashville capo ? Looking for another quick change capo and ran across these online.

Thanks
Bill
The G7th Nashville Capo does not have enough spring pressure to properly capo many different guitars with their varying fingerboard depths and radii. I think I've found it to work reasonably well on only one or two guitars I've owned over the years, and I don't use mine anymore.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Think I will order a couple and give them a try. Bill
Comment deleted as I think OP should make his own decision on whether to buy or not.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-16-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:11 AM

My preferred capo is that G7th Nashville, but it works for me because my guitars are set up for low action and light strings.

Best thing about the Nashville is its light weight.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:18 AM

I’ve had one for several years and like it on some guitars. I tried it out on my Bourgeois, with a compound radius fretboard, last night and it didn’t fare too well. Too muted sounding and this guitar is anything but muted! Through my Heritage on and it was right back to the crisp, clean tone it has. I don’t think the spring tension is strong enough for every guitar.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 05-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Since using the G7 performance 2 and 3, I havent used anything else. Changes as quick as any capo, and has the adjustable tension and radius. The perfect design.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-16-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

The Nashville is my go to capo for gigs. Easy to change quickly, not too much pressure like the Kyser. I have to go pretty quickly from song to song, not much fiddling...
G7th has great customer service too. Had the spring weaken after a few years, they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 05-17-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Bill
Not sure what “quick change” means to you but I keep my G7th Heritage above the nut when not in use and using it couldn’t be more convenient, since it’s there already.

I know that won’t work with some guitars with volutes. Good luck.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-16-2021, 01:06 PM

All I use, capo wise, is G7th (bar one Dunlop Victor). I bought my first one 17yrs ago and haven’t looked back. I still have the first one (the “Performance” model) and have since added a Performance 2 and 3, a Newporter, Newporter 12 with compensated pad (best 12 string capo EVER) and a Heritage Banjo capo which I use with my Tenor guitar.

I haven’t tried the Nashville yet but have every faith that it will be excellent, providing your guitar falls into the parameters of efficacy in terms of action, neck profile etc. If not, try a Performance 3. Super quick action and wonderful in terms of even string pressure and reliably stable tuning.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Not sure what “quick change” means to you but I keep my G7th Heritage above the nut when not in use and using it couldn’t be more convenient, since it’s there already.

I know that won’t work with some guitars with volutes. Good luck.
To me, (and maybe to the OP) "quick-change" means those capos that have no adjustment, just a spring-tensioned pincher with large levers to open them and reposition.

The "con" is that they may not be as exact in applying just the right amount of tension to just fret the strings. The "pro" is that you can be talking to the audience between sips of a beverage, or handing the piano player a new lead sheet all the while capoing to a new position with one hand. And there are even players who use them to change capo position inside the playing of a single piece.

The con means that you may not stay in tune as well as some other capos more carefully applied. And of course some will always check tuning after applying any capo--long topic often discussed.

Fans of other capos will also say none of these things are ever a problem for them, even playing live, but the popularity of the "just squeeze" capos testifies that others have different judgements of their needs/wants.

For me, I find them kind of handy when composing/arranging to use one to try different keys quickly without needing to adjust to get the strings to sound. If I was a better barre chord player or had a better immediate grasp of different chord voicings, this wouldn't be a factor, but I'm not those things.

I wouldn't choose the Nashville as my only capo ever, but I was kind of surprised at the person upthread who was sure it didn't work on many guitar necks. I don't have the largest collection of acoustic guitars here by far, but I have still and have gone through a lot of electric guitars and often capo higher than many, and that hasn't been a factor in my more informal use. Also surprised at the person who said the spring wasn't strong enough to fret the strings sometimes. I think I'd have noticed that. Almost makes we wonder if there's been a "running change." My two Nashvilles are about two years old as I recall.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-17-2021, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
To me, (and maybe to the OP) "quick-change" means those capos that have no adjustment, just a spring-tensioned pincher with large levers to open them and reposition.

The "con" is that they may not be as exact in applying just the right amount of tension to just fret the strings. The "pro" is that you can be talking to the audience between sips of a beverage, or handing the piano player a new lead sheet all the while capoing to a new position with one hand. And there are even players who use them to change capo position inside the playing of a single piece.

The con means that you may not stay in tune as well as some other capos more carefully applied. And of course some will always check tuning after applying any capo--long topic often discussed.

Fans of other capos will also say none of these things are ever a problem for them, even playing live, but the popularity of the "just squeeze" capos testifies that others have different judgements of their needs/wants.

For me, I find them kind of handy when composing/arranging to use one to try different keys quickly without needing to adjust to get the strings to sound. If I was a better barre chord player or had a better immediate grasp of different chord voicings, this wouldn't be a factor, but I'm not those things.

I wouldn't choose the Nashville as my only capo ever, but I was kind of surprised at the person upthread who was sure it didn't work on many guitar necks. I don't have the largest collection of acoustic guitars here by far, but I have still and have gone through a lot of electric guitars and often capo higher than many, and that hasn't been a factor in my more informal use. Also surprised at the person who said the spring wasn't strong enough to fret the strings sometimes. I think I'd have noticed that. Almost makes we wonder if there's been a "running change." My two Nashvilles are about two years old as I recall.
My G7th Nashville Capo is maybe 10 to 12 years old, and perhaps the company upgraded the capo to work better since I bought mine? I sure hope so.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-17-2021, 06:25 AM

I purchased a G7 performance 3. All other CAPO's have been forgotten, It's great and all I use.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

The G7th Nashville capo ?

My go to for the last 11 years. Spring is still strong. Not used to gig, stays in the house and occasionally outside. Worth a try if you like spring action capos.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion