The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 05:49 AM

Default Contessa messa!

Hi everyone. I’ve been impressed by the info available on this forum, that’s why I’ve just joined. I note that there is a lot of chat about high end guitars. I was hoping for help with a low end one. Very low end! Since my (forced) retirement I have been enjoying my guitars. Not just playing but also researching history and construction etc. Due to my financial situation, I’ve been looking for “bargins”. 50 miles away in Belfast, a chap advertised his late father’s collection. A Yamaha red label, Eko Ranger 6 & 12, Harmony Sovereign (2 off), Framus Contessa, an E-Ros and a few Italian sounding classics. He said a Luthier from Lowden was interested. I drew out enough for one guitar and followed the GPS for 90mins. What a disappointment. They were all broken beyond my capabilities. Since I’d come so far I decided to buy the Contessa. I paid him a fair price for what I thought must have been either Framus or Hohner. Wrong, it was neither!!! When I got it home and looked properly, it is the worst finished guitar I have ever seen. It needed tuners, nut, truss rod cover, bridge piece and pegs. I need to get it playing before I try to sell it (at a loss).
I ordered some cheapo plastic parts but the bridge pins didn’t even touch the sides of the holes. I think they are untapered 5mm but they are recessed down 3mm and the pin collar hits before the taper bites. Oversized pins are £20ish and would be more than the guitar is worth. Help, anyone ?
JR

Last edited by Rustybike; 02-18-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

First of all, welcome to AGF. Hopefully you'll get the answer you want, but frankly I'm not sure what that is. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you bought a guitar that needs a lot of work, and your finances are tight. Given that, it would seem that cutting your losses before throwing good money after bad might be your best course...

Last edited by RP; 02-18-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Rusty...glad to have you with us!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:15 AM

Rusty, I’m afraid that I can’t help you with that guitar, but did want to welcome you to the forum. There are a few other Ulstermen who participate on here as well, and we’re always glad to see more.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 AM

"throwing good money after bad", thats the phrase I was looking for

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion