The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Default String "twang", "jangle" on 12-fret when strumming

Hi,

How do I address string twang/jangle on Larrivee 12-fret OM when strumming somewhat aggressively (which I occasionally do). Sounds wonderful otherwise. I mostly strum. Is this a set-up, string, or strumming style issue? Or is this the nature of 12-fretters ? Thanks!
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Is this a set-up, string, or strumming style issue?
It could be any or all of those.

If you can't identify which of those is involved, best to take it to someone who can observe you play and identify the issues. That could be a luthier or repair person, it could be a skilled teacher.

Quote:
Or is this the nature of 12-fretters ?
It is not, no.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:39 PM

I have 3 12 fretters and none have any buzz at all. They have all been set up they same way by the same luthier. The PJ is set up for low tension strings and the 00 and the Flammang are set up for medium tension strings. Typically take my guitars back to the luthier every 12-18 months so he can look them over better than I am capable of. Keeps trouble at bay.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks,

Currently have Elixir Nano 11/52 on guitar. Do you think a step up to 12's would make a difference?
Old 02-15-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks,

Currently have Elixir Nano 11/52 on guitar. Do you think a step up to 12's would make a difference?
I would suggest that you put std lights on your guitar - 11s are VERY light and for light finger style only.

I'd also advise that you check your action and relif.

I cannot identify your guitar as an OM means a 14 fretter by definition.

If it is a short scale and you are using very light strings and strumming it vigorously, I don't really see how it would not buzz.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Silly, sound advice as always from the 12-fret guru here on AGF! Taking it my tech tomorrow to get a K&K Pure Mini installed and will have him look at everything. Attached are some pics of my guitar FYI.

Hope you are doing well ! Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091.jpg (27.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 092.jpg (24.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 093.jpg (38.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM

raise the action. Heavier strings tend to make it worse.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Hi,

How do I address string twang/jangle on Larrivee 12-fret OM when strumming somewhat aggressively (which I occasionally do). Sounds wonderful otherwise. I mostly strum. Is this a set-up, string, or strumming style issue? Or is this the nature of 12-fretters ? Thanks!
If you are using strings that are too light you will get some buzzing or slapping.
Larrivee guitars come set-up very well right out of the box. Larrivee 00-12 fret guitars are strung with D’Addario medium string set (13-56) and the truss rod has been set correctly. Larrivee OM guitars come with D’Addario lights (12-53) and are set up for that.
I have both OM an 00 Larrivee and I use D,Addario lights EJ16 on All.
Go to www.Larrivee.com and use the contact feature. Type in your serial and model number and ask them what strings should be on your guitar (and any other questions) They are very helpful and respond in a timely fashion.

Blues
Old 02-16-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks,

Hi wg

Not if the issue is with how close the strings are to the fingerboard at the 12th fret.

There are three adjustments (at least) which need to be correct to have a decent setup…
  1. Nut slot depth
  2. Camber of the neck (truss rod adjustment)
  3. Saddle height

I always approach them in that order. Too many people start by adjusting the saddle height, when the issue may just be the truss rod, or a nut slot adjustment.

Hope this adds to the thread…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 AM

This is another in the continuing series of posts of “I’m taking it to a luthier tomorrow, but wanted to ask here what needs to be done...”

If one is taking ones guitar in to have a professional examine it, getting opinions from those who can’t examine it is mostly a waste of everyone’s time. It happens with sufficient frequency as to make me want to think twice before providing any advice on topics of guitar repair or setup.

If you know before you start a post that you are going to take your guitar in to a professional for his or her assessment, don’t post to get preemptive guesses/diagnosis here.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
... Larrivee 00-12 fret guitars are strung with D’Addario medium string set (13-56)... Larrivee OM guitars come with D’Addario lights (12-53)... Go to www.Larrivee.com and use the contact feature. Type in your serial and model number and ask them what strings should be on your guitar...
I did that last fall and Larrivee said they use Mediums on all their guitars.
----------

Subject: Re: Contact Form
Date: September 5, 2019 at 3:37:53 PM EDT
To: Allan …. <…… @twc.com>
Hi Allan,
Larrivée sets up all guitars with D’Addario EXP17 13-56’s. We have always used mediums on parlors specifically for maximum tone.
Thank you
Larrivée Service
Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

Those are basically extra lights, and as such aren’t really the optimum strings for strumming. You should definitely try some beefier strings on the guitar if you’re strumming a lot.

whm
Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

All guitars and set ups have limitations. It's a fact of life so we all must deal with it. If you want to set it up for aggressive strumming then do so. Or not. But understand a general all around set up is not a set-up specifically for any one style of playing. Though you can play any style on any guitar in any way at any time good or bad yadda, yadda, yadda.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This is another in the continuing series of posts of “I’m taking it to a luthier tomorrow, but wanted to ask here what needs to be done...”

If one is taking ones guitar in to have a professional examine it, getting opinions from those who can’t examine it is mostly a waste of everyone’s time. It happens with sufficient frequency as to make me want to think twice before providing any advice on topics of guitar repair or setup.

If you know before you start a post that you are going to take your guitar in to a professional for his or her assessment, don’t post to get preemptive guesses/diagnosis here.
This^^^

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

I do the same thing when my car is making a suspicious noise or my when I'm going to see the doctor and complain about an ache or pain. It's human nature to have as much info going into a potentially costly situation. Maybe it's a form of hypochondria, but in these situations in my experience there are rarely "pleasant" surprises.

That being said, I just think the OP needs to learn how to play with medium gauge strings as it was built to handle or sell the guitar before the luthier makes any changes to suit his rather particular preferences. It will complicate things down the road otherwise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion