The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
This is interesting. I had assumed that ap long as there is no buzz then all capos would be completely equal. Clearly that's not the case.
I would have seconded your assumption until I tried one for myself.

Only reason I posted in the first place was that Id like for others to get to have an aha moment like that too.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM

It is designed much like my Elliot capo. Is G7 a British company?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
Yes. Google is your friend...

https://www.g7th.com/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:58 AM

I've been curious about these for a while now and this thread rekindled my brain.
Are we talking mainly about the yoke style or the performance and newport types as well?
Do they all work equally well?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I have two Heritage capos - one wide and one normal. Both are the gold plated. When I googled for prices, I found that purchasing factory direct is less expensive than elsewhere, even compared to Amazon. The stainless steel capos are selling elsewhere for the same price as the gold plated version factory direct. Shipping is either free or only $15 for 48 hour tracked.

The customer support is great. The normal width capo arrived in good shape and it works well. The wide width capo arrived with the part that touches the strings broken off, leaving the plastic insert part in the capo. I contacted G7th that same day from their web site and almost immediately got an email from their customer support. The customer support person immediately sent me a replacement insert using 48 hour tracked and at no cost to me for either the part or the shipping. It sat as long in customs in Indiana as it took for G7th to send it to me, so probably a total of about 4 days. The insert worked fine, so I now have both capos working quite well.

After that, I have now ordered two spare inserts for each capo, so I should never need another capo.

I also have an Elliot capo. What I find is that the Heritage capo seems to need much less pressure to get all strings sounding clean. Aside from that, I would say that both makes are comparable. But then, they are also comparable in price, so that is to be expected.

Personally, I think the cost of these capos is well worth it. I compared my Shubb to the Heritage and find that with the Heritage, the guitar sounds better all around. For those who don't use a capo very often, it may not be worthwhile, but for those who do, if you have spent a fair amount on your guitar, then the cost of a capo that doesn't alter its tone would be worth it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
...for those who don't use a capo very often, it may not be worthwhile...
Tony
Honestly, the reason I don't capo very often is I don't like the sound of it. If it sounded a bit more like open string I would probably use one more often
Old 01-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I will be going to NAMM next week and really looking forward to Seeing the Heritage at the Davett and Hanser booth (Their distributors). I have never seen one up close before.
So excited to hear your reviews on this Capo Hasbro & Goodallboy. Sustain is everything!
So that it matches my gold tuners I will order one in Gold.
Look forward to seeing you at NAMM! The G7th team will be there on the Davitt & Hanser stand :-)
Avalon L348-ES called Marilyn (Blonde)
1966 John Bailey (had since I was 16)
Martinez Stagepro nylon
Chinese archtop bought on a whim in Shanghai
Breedlove mandolin
Fender Strat.
Just about every capo known to man! Oh, and a non-descript uke..
Old 01-11-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
Indeed we are :-)
Avalon L348-ES called Marilyn (Blonde)
1966 John Bailey (had since I was 16)
Martinez Stagepro nylon
Chinese archtop bought on a whim in Shanghai
Breedlove mandolin
Fender Strat.
Just about every capo known to man! Oh, and a non-descript uke..
Old 01-11-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Honestly, the reason I don't capo very often is I don't like the sound of it. If it sounded a bit more like open string I would probably use one more often
It is only recently that I started using a capo more often. Up until now, I hardly ever used one because I felt that I needed access to the entire fretboard all the time. Recently, I discovered the playing of Lex Von Sumayo, who does really nice arrangements of standards and pop tunes, capturing the feel of the tune yet using simple chords and reaches. I posted about this in the Play and Write section recently, so I won't go over the advantages for us aging folks here.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I've been curious about these for a while now and this thread rekindled my brain.
Are we talking mainly about the yoke style or the performance and newport types as well?
Do they all work equally well?
The Heritage is the yolk style. To me, the advantage of the yolk style is that the clamping pressure cones from the center of the neck, which is where your thumb normally goes, so it is equally distributed across the strings.

I also have the G7th Performance 3 capo, which I got before the Heritage. It works well too, but I personally feel that I need more pressure, likely because the pressure comes from one end for all 6 strings.

Both are excellent capos, so choose whichever you are comfortable with. Both have the G7th design that accommodates most any fretboard radius so it should work with all of your guitars. The Performance 3 is about 1/3 the cost of the Heritage.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Ordered. Was £113 on Amazon. I assume it'll last longer than me so it's not a huge expense. Will let you know what I think tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Ordered. Was £113 on Amazon. I assume it'll last longer than me so it's not a huge expense. Will let you know what I think tomorrow.
Great choice Ralph, and to your point, I believe you'll find the Heritage sounds better than any capo you've ever tried.

I too wasn't fond of a capo'd sound until I bought the Heritage. It's incredible! I hope you experience the same thing!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-11-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I think you'll be very happy with it. Also it is much cheaper to buy a good Capo that doesn't require a lot of force then to be stuck with a pricey refret. Apparently Capo's are the worst to your frets
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM

Well I really want to like it. I have a deep voice and I struggle to reach even the high end of the baritone range. I can either transcribe, or capo up a few frets and go down an octave. That's a lot easier, esp for songs I can already play, I just never like the tone. A capo that I actually like would simplify my life no end
Old 01-11-2020, 02:36 PM

I used a Shubb for years, then switched to a Paige. I like both, but I like the Paige more. On a whim I bought the Heritage, and I really like it.

One thing that took a little getting used to was, because the pad isn't soft rubber like the others, the way it can easily be pushed out of position. It took a while to understand that even though I could move it, it was still tight enough.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion