The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Curious. Would Reverb be the best place to list Ryans? I don't see instruments of that value popping up here at AGF often if at all. But on Reverb, I see quite a few.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

They appear here now and again. I bought mine off reverb from a member. He wanted a wider exposure, which he got. When I sold it I responded to a want to buy here. Never listed it. Right now it's pretty much a buyer's market. Several of our "high end" collectors have not been getting sales lately. Their listings are just sitting there.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 01-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Just an addendum - I was looking for a redwood top guitar, looked at the Guitar Rez website and they had two - a Lowden and the Ryan. I made the trek up there early last week. I walked in, the owner asked if he could help me. I told him what I was looking for. He brought out the Lowden and the Ryan from the back room. He couldn't have been nicer. He did stay with me while I played and we chatted. I talked to him a couple of days later and talked about a trade. He gave me a great trade on a Martin 000 which I had on consignment at another store and I went back and bought the Ryan on Friday. Completely changed my image of the store and I will go back for sure.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
... greeting super thick notes that seemed to merge the fundamental with the overtones into one solid mass of gooey and dark chocolate like tone.
Gitarro - You have unexplored artistic talent! Well said. I have a aural picture of what it must sound like.

Cincy
Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I went back and bought the Ryan on Friday. Completely changed my image of the store and I will go back for sure.
Jeff, congratulations on your Ryan! Would love to see pic's and hear what you think of it after getting to know it a bit.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 PM

The nightingale is redwood and ziricote.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1580176960

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryannightgrandsolozircu.jpg (29.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg ryannightgrandsolozirbkcu.jpg (29.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg ryannightgrandsolozirth.jpg (34.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg ryannightgrandsolozirbk.jpg (19.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I used to own a MGC, I sold it to buy my first really nice harp guitar. I don’t regret that but I would like to have another Ryan someday.

I’ve been lucky enough to own quite a few really nice guitars through the years the Ryan was among the best.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:05 PM

Default Nice Ryan!

Hey Jeff MC,

I played your guitar earlier last week along with the rosewood model as well. It is a very nice guitar. I already own a nice McPherson with the same wood combination. I may have to take another look at the rosewood model. I have purchased many guitars from Jim at Guitar Rez and have always been treated very well. Lowden's, Taylors way back when, PRS electrics and acoustics, and Gibson electrics and one acoustic. I'm nobody special, just a guy that likes nice guitars. I hear bad things about the place from time to time but my experiences for over 15 + years has been great. I'll admit that Jim and the guys may seem a little different to some but I've had great luck in there and have always been treated fairly. I was surprised to see the Ryan's in there and I think I see one in my future! Enjoy that nice Ryan!
Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar nut View Post
Hey Jeff MC,

I played your guitar earlier last week along with the rosewood model as well. It is a very nice guitar. I already own a nice McPherson with the same wood combination. I may have to take another look at the rosewood model. I have purchased many guitars from Jim at Guitar Rez and have always been treated very well. Lowden's, Taylors way back when, PRS electrics and acoustics, and Gibson electrics and one acoustic. I'm nobody special, just a guy that likes nice guitars. I hear bad things about the place from time to time but my experiences for over 15 + years has been great. I'll admit that Jim and the guys may seem a little different to some but I've had great luck in there and have always been treated fairly. I was surprised to see the Ryan's in there and I think I see one in my future! Enjoy that nice Ryan!
He laughed and mentioned that he hadn't had anyone look at that guitar for quite awhile and and right after I was in the first time, he had two or three people asking about it.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:42 AM

I have never had the opportunity tom play a Ryan. But I have heard many. Read about them so much (especially here). I keep hearing the term "piano" ("lap piano" in the OP is perfect!), and that is what I have always heard in my head, what an acoustic should sound like.... not a bluegrasser, but something that sounds like "God" lol.... Ryan seems to be it. If I ever win the lottery, because that's what it'll take, I'd love to own a Nightingale.

First I ever heard of Ryan, or heard one, was from forum member Joost Assink... he introduced me to Ryans, as well as Al Petteway. MANY thanks!

Maybe not the best audio, but it was what lit the fire for "tone" regarding acoustics for me (many years ago)...

2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 01-31-2020, 08:36 AM

The guitar that is being played in that clip is actually the cathedral model which to my ear sound very different from the nightingale model. Rather unexpectedly I found the cqthedrql to be more versatile for different types of songs than the nightingale and to sound so different from the latter that I wouldn't have guessed that it was made by the same maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I have never had the opportunity tom play a Ryan. But I have heard many. Read about them so much (especially here). I keep hearing the term "piano" ("lap piano" in the OP is perfect!), and that is what I have always heard in my head, what an acoustic should sound like.... not a bluegrasser, but something that sounds like "God" lol.... Ryan seems to be it. If I ever win the lottery, because that's what it'll take, I'd love to own a Nightingale.

First I ever heard of Ryan, or heard one, was from forum member Joost Assink... he introduced me to Ryans, as well as Al Petteway. MANY thanks!

Maybe not the best audio, but it was what lit the fire for "tone" regarding acoustics for me (many years ago)...

Old 01-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The guitar that is being played in that clip is actually the cathedral model which to my ear sound very different from the nightingale model. Rather unexpectedly I found the cqthedrql to be more versatile for different types of songs than the nightingale and to sound so different from the latter that I wouldn't have guessed that it was made by the same maker.
I received my ryan cathedral shortly after joost received his first ryan. I get what you say about the cathedral being very versatile. I feel that my ryan is my most versatile guitar.

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Just an addendum - I was looking for a redwood top guitar, looked at the Guitar Rez website and they had two - a Lowden and the Ryan. I made the trek up there early last week. I walked in, the owner asked if he could help me. I told him what I was looking for. He brought out the Lowden and the Ryan from the back room. He couldn't have been nicer. He did stay with me while I played and we chatted. I talked to him a couple of days later and talked about a trade. He gave me a great trade on a Martin 000 which I had on consignment at another store and I went back and bought the Ryan on Friday. Completely changed my image of the store and I will go back for sure.
I played that guitar when I was in the store at Christmas. Great instrument! Mine is African Blackwood and Cedar and is phenomenal.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-17-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up this great 2019 Nightingale in Bearclaw Sitka and EIR. Its an otherworldly sounding instrument!! The word magical is first one that comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsMsqquP1c
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I just picked up this great 2019 Nightingale in Bearclaw Sitka and EIR. Its an otherworldly sounding instrument!! The word magical is first one that comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsMsqquP1c
Sublime.
Where does one go from that?
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion