The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 AM

Default Archtop for "contemporary fingerstyle" (Gibson L-5 content)

A few years ago I bought a Gibson L-5 with high hopes of becoming a decent jazz player. Of course, that never happened and my guitar remained in its case for most of the time.

There have been several threads over the years on the topic of using archtops for fingerstyle. I personally think that archtops need to be driven hard to have any decent amount of bass and overall there isn't enough sustain for "contemporary fingerstyle".

In any case, I tuned my L-5 to open D and attempted a little piece:

http://youtu.be/tE71Lo3_FK0

I'd be interested to have your opinion on the use of archtops in this context. There's obviously no bass but the melody line really stands out, almost like on an electric guitar. I think archtops look cool and I'd love to find a decent use for them.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
A few years ago I bought a Gibson L-5 with high hopes of becoming a decent jazz player. Of course, that never happened and my guitar remained in its case for most of the time.

There have been several threads over the years on the topic of using archtops for fingerstyle. I personally think that archtops need to be driven hard to have any decent amount of bass and overall there isn't enough sustain for "contemporary fingerstyle".

I'd be interested to have your opinion on the use of archtops in this context. There's obviously no bass but the melody line really stands out, almost like on an electric guitar. I think archtops look cool and I'd love to find a decent use for them.
Hi Joe,
It almost sounds like your next step will be a Koto:-)

Great lighting & sound recording, by the way, and that happens to be a very nice sounding guitar, even given the way you're 'looking' at it.

Aside from what string type/gauge you might have on, I suggest that you try to be even more open minded than you already are.

With any guitar you pick up, it should always be a case of letting the guitar tell you what it's capable of, and then adjusting your technique & writing style to the instrument………..That is, of course, if the 'voice' you're hearing from the instrument, appeals to you in any way, shape or form.

You know, very well, what I think about genuine acoustic carved top & back, guitars, and probably, what I generally think about contemporary fingerstyle guitar.

It is encouraging to see the F# and a capo…..

While it may be interesting to just see how any particular guitar 'responds' to being played exactly the same as another one (sort of like doing a mic or pickup shoot-out), there's just so much depth to any decent guitar's potential.

If you like the way it plays and looks, then it's well worth exploring what it can do, aurally, but that always requires some change on the player's end. It often pays large dividends.

If we don't speak sooner, please have a happy & very healthy New Year!

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Joe,

Great lighting & sound recording, by the way, and that happens to be a very nice sounding guitar, even given the way you're 'looking' at it.

Aside from what string type/gauge you might have on, I suggest that you try to be even more open minded than you already are.

With any guitar you pick up, it should always be a case of letting the guitar tell you what it's capable of, and then adjusting your technique & writing style to the instrument………..That is, of course, if the 'voice' you're hearing from the instrument, appeals to you in any way, shape or form.

You know, very well, what I think about genuine acoustic carved top & back, guitars, and probably, what I generally think about contemporary fingerstyle guitar.

While it may be interesting to just see how any particular guitar 'responds' to being played exactly the same as another one (sort of like doing a mic or pickup shoot-out), there's just so much depth to any decent guitar's potential.

If you like the way it plays and looks, then it's well worth exploring what it can do, aurally, but that always requires some change on the player's end. It often pays large dividends.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Howard, "letting a guitar tell you what it's capable of" pretty much echoes a conversation I was having on Christmas Day. I was always a 'big guitar' guy-dreads and jumbos-and pretty much always got the big sounds I expected from big boxes. Having now graduated to a much smaller instrument it took a little while for my expectations to adapt-along with my playing style-to what the guitar wants me to do with it. I get it now!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

Well done and I really like it. You've put it to good use with the right style.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Joe -- It worked for me. Sounded great. Yes, the bass was subdued but for that particular piece, I thought that was okay. Very nice playing.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Nice melody. Your addition of the strumming adds to the latter part. With the L 5 you may have to embrace the chunk chunk sound of chords which gives its own authentic thing. A little more folky than modern builds maybe. Excellent for performing unplugged or playing with a few other stringed instruments...
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 12-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Joe,

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Hi Howard,

A Koto would be too massive for my modest home but I may have found a new source of inspiration thanks to you...

When I pick up my L-5, it inspires me to play like Joe Pass... I can actually play a couple of pieces of his note for note -- but it just sounds bad coming from me.

Maybe I'll try some Koto pieces as that instrument doesn't seem to have the biggest bass.

Thank you for taking the time to post. I was afraid you would actually respond...

I wish you a healthy and wealthy 2014. Hopefully I won't miss you on my next trip to NYC.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Well done and I really like it. You've put it to good use with the right style.
Thanks for posting. I'd love to find a good use for this guitar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Joe -- It worked for me. Sounded great. Yes, the bass was subdued but for that particular piece, I thought that was okay. Very nice playing.
Thanks, Bob. The modest bass made me focus on the melody... Still not ideal but I'm glad to hear it wasn't a total wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
Nice melody. Your addition of the strumming adds to the latter part. With the L 5 you may have to embrace the chunk chunk sound of chords which gives its own authentic thing. A little more folky than modern builds maybe. Excellent for performing unplugged or playing with a few other stringed instruments...
Thanks for listening.

IMHO the biggest benefit of the L-5 is the nice burst -- so much that I had to post a video in colour...
Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Did that tone come through the pickups, or mics?

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you can buy Olsons and L-5s, I want your job.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:59 PM

I picked up an Eastman AR371CE archtop this past Friday because I've been learning Chord Melody style. I've discovered it's outstanding for playing plugged in fingerstyle. I'm loving it!!

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 PM
AGF Administrator

I'll admit that I did miss some of the bass response, but you still made it sound pretty darn good, Mau. Nice work.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 PM

I liked it, but I like the sound of a good acoustic archtop anyhow. Different than a flattop, as others have pointed out, not as much bass, but a distinctive voice of its own. I don't play mine as much as I should, and almost never finger style, maybe I'll pull it out tonight and play something finger style on it.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Mau, what a beautiful piece and melody. I loved it. It reminds me of the mountains and ocean.

Is that in an alternate tuning?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Very nice, i like it. Great use of the instrument.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Actually liked that quite a lot. Interesting how archtops get pigeon-holed as jazz instruments but they do so many other things well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops