The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM

Default 10-48 Guage on CO-WS1000N2?

Greetings all,

First post, as you can see, so new to the forums and new to CF acoustics. When I received my WS1000 yesterday, the first thing I noticed is how high the action seemed to be (especially compared to my Carvin AC375). Just curious if anyone has gone extra light with strings on a WS1000 and what their results were? I really don't want to mess around with neck relief yet, so I am thinking the lighter strings may bring the action down a bit (lower the tension). Would this be correct thinking?

BTW...guitar is gorgeous!

Bill
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM

There's certainly nothing wrong with trying out extra light gauge strings. However, I wouldn't do it simply to lower the action. Personally, I can't stand extra light strings; just too floppy for my tastes.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the relief needs to be adjusted just because the action seems high. If you don't know how to figure out if the guitar has a proper amount of relief, you should have it set up by a good tech/luthier.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Default Rainsong WS1000

Hello, I recently purchased an older WS1000 without the N2 neck (no truss rod) and found it difficult to play for my 3-hour gigs compared to my Taylor 814ce. I took it to my luthier twice and had both the saddle and the nut lowered, and now it plays just fine with Elixir lights. You can adjust the neck relief, and I would do so immediately, and have the saddle lowered to where you like it.

I tried Elixir Custom Light strings to no avail--way too tinny. There simply isn't enough sound when you go smaller than lights, even plugged in. You can get that thing dialed in perfectly and you'll never put it down!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

As noted in the prior comments, . . . take the RainSong to a good local tech for a set-up.

I have both a CO-WS1000N2, and a BI-WS1000N2. When both were purchased new (I am the original owner of each), the action on both was a bit high, as well as the relief was a bit too much.

On both guitars, first the truss rod was adjusted to get the desired neck relief, and secondly the saddle was (carefully) shaved in small increments to lower the action.

Result, both guitars play very comfortably for as long as I want to sit and play !
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks all...I'll have to see if I can find a real luthier in town. Town of about 100k, only small shops. When I went looking for someone to set up a seven string and install new pick ups, two of the three guitar shops in town had closed. The last shop was able to do my seven string work, I just won't know until I check it out if they can (or ever have, which worries me more) work on a CF acoustic. Pretty sure the guy isn't a luthier...more a teacher who does side set-ups/pick up installs for added income .
Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 PM

You just need a tech to get this guitar ship-shape. It's all easy stuff.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM

I have a Rainsong OM1000 with the original N1 neck. No truss rod and certainly not needed. I've used extra lights through mediums without any flex in the neck. Currently on it are Dean Markley Vintage Bronze 11-46. Going to try Nashville tuning next. D'Addario 10-27s are on their way. Should be a unique sound!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber