The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Advice on a CF Fingerstyle Guitar

Need some advice. I’m on the lookout for a fingerstyle CF guitar. I own a couple of CA Dreads, a cargo, and a Rainsong 12 string so I’m really in to the CF guitars especially for gigging. I’d like to get something smaller bodied for playing fingerstyle on gigs with a pickup of course.

Right now I’ve been at home playing a little Recording King 12 fret 00 size that is really about perfect for doing styles like James Taylor and stuff like that. I can do them really on any guitar but am really liking the size & sound out of the smaller bodied guitar for this kind of stuff.

I’m looking at Rainsong Shorty’s, and I’m sure they would work well but wanted to know what other stuff people are liking like Blackbird, ???
Any help anyone can share would be great as hard to just got to a shop around where I live and play different stuff.

Thanks for your time!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM

Default Rs om1000

I mostly play fingerstyle. My Rainsong OM1000 works perfect. You probably are right about the Shorty.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

In my personal opinion, you have already got it with your Cargo. But then, advice like that doesn't help generate new sales.

Tony
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
In my personal opinion, you have already got it with your Cargo. But then, advice like that doesn't help generate new sales.

Tony
You know on paper the Cargo would seem to work well for FS, and it will do in a pinch, but it's not ideal. I own a Cargo and find the super short scale and less than perfect intonation higher up the neck means it's better suited to cowboy chords. If we are talking travel size than the Emerald X7 would be a better candidate IMO but the OP isn't looking for a travel FS.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 AM

My Rainsong dread is fantastic for fingerstyle - in spite of the larger body. Very responsive to the lightest touch, but will roar with the Martin D's at our bluegrass jams.

I use the D'Addario PB Bluegrass gauge strings, and they feel like lights on it...

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstev View Post
You know on paper the Cargo would seem to work well for FS, and it will do in a pinch, but it's not ideal. I own a Cargo and find the super short scale and less than perfect intonation higher up the neck means it's better suited to cowboy chords. If we are talking travel size than the Emerald X7 would be a better candidate IMO but the OP isn't looking for a travel FS.
I agree, I mean I can make it work for FS and have but a little less than ideal for me personally. I really am loving my Recording King RP1-626-C so I may just end up outfitting it with a pickup but I'd kinda just like to have a CF for plugging in and travel. Plus what a great excuse to buy another guitar!

As always I value peoples opinion so thanks everyone!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstev View Post
I also own Cargos and find them to be just fine. I realize many people don't care for the short scale, but for some of us it is fine. One way to use it is to approach the instrument as a 12 fret that allows occasional reaches to the higher frets. That is how I do it, since I have always preferred 12 fret instruments anyway.

However, in general, I think my suggestion should be taken as that. If it doesn't work for the OP, fine. My own experience with suggestions in forums has been that there have been times when somebody suggested something that I had initially rejected, but when I revisited the suggestion, found it workable. So maybe an open mind on this would be better than clamping down right away.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I agree, I mean I can make it work for FS and have but a little less than ideal for me personally. I really am loving my Recording King RP1-626-C so I may just end up outfitting it with a pickup but I'd kinda just like to have a CF for plugging in and travel. Plus what a great excuse to buy another guitar!

As always I value peoples opinion so thanks everyone!
This response was quite a bit friendlier and more open-minded. I can suggest an idea and people can either try it or reject it, but at least considering it seems worthwhile. I treat threads like this as a sort of "brainstorming" session in which ideas can be tossed about. You seem to "get it", and I appreciated that. I think theat Wilstev's suggestion of the Emerald is a good one because you get a smaller instrument AND a "normal" scale length. If you can try one, you might like it for your purposes.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 05-17-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
This response was quite a bit friendlier and more open-minded. I can suggest an idea and people can either try it or reject it, but at least considering it seems worthwhile. I treat threads like this as a sort of "brainstorming" session in which ideas can be tossed about. You seem to "get it", and I appreciated that. I think theat Wilstev's suggestion of the Emerald is a good one because you get a smaller instrument AND a "normal" scale length. If you can try one, you might like it for your purposes.

Tony
Tony, I don't see wilstevs response as unfriendly at all. Benderman was looking for a cf fingerstyle guitar and has already made the decision that his cargo isn't up to the task and wilstev seems to agree. Are you suggesting benderman should try and make the cargo work?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcole View Post
Tony, I don't see wilstevs response as unfriendly at all. Benderman was looking for a cf fingerstyle guitar and has already made the decision that his cargo isn't up to the task and wilstev seems to agree. Are you suggesting benderman should try and make the cargo work?
What I am suggesting is that he take another look at it. As I said in a previous post, I have had the experience of writing off some idea or thing, only to have somebody in a forum suggest I take another look at it. There have been times when having another look, I found that it would work. It was only a suggestion and nothing to make a big deal about.

The Cargo is not only good for "cowboy chords". I play all over the fretboard just fine. That doesn't mean that everybody can or should, but it does mean that such is possible. I don't find that the short scale is uncomfortable. If anything, I find it to be both comfortable and possible to make reaches I might not otherwise be able to make.

Again, this subject area is highly individual. I can only suggest from my experience and others can decide what works best for them. I can suggest the OP take another look at the Cargo before deciding, but it really is up to the OP what he should ultimately do. I personally see no harm in that.

Tony
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 AM

Default Might I Suggest the Improbable!

RainSong now has a 12 fret neck of slightly shorter scale. All it needs is a cut-away Martin 0 sized body to make the perfect guitar that blends the portability of travel sized guitars, the tone of a full sized guitar, and the no worries of graphite. I am quite sure this will appear reasonably soon, because Ashvin behaves in every way like a good business man. I say wait a little or be prepared to eBay that Chinese version when the graphite one appears.

Look at this niche:

Baby Taylor - scale too short, and crummy tone
Martin L - scale too short and crummy tone
Taylor GS Mini - nice tone but too big to carry on a plane, scale a bit short
The multiple 12-fret cutaway 0 (parlor) sized wooden guitars - too fragile and expensive for risking an airline gate check in a gig bag
Cargo - scale too short
X5 - very low volume
X7OS - could be perfect, but tone is somewhat unconventional, scale a bit short

RainSong Parlor Cut-away - perfect!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-19-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM

AND Emerald freely admits that the X7OS is their biggest seller!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The Cargo is not only good for "cowboy chords". I play all over the fretboard just fine. That doesn't mean that everybody can or should, but it does mean that such is possible.
Calling Larry Pattis.. Larry Pattis to the forum please!!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Calling Larry Pattis.. Larry Pattis to the forum please!!
<Tony runs for cover>
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM

i'm really surprised that nobody mentioned Blackbird here. it seems that this subforum is quite polarized towards Rainsong. i can understand it as it is the company that has been longer around here

the OP asked about Blackbird also. i think that the guitar that is closer to your Recording King 00 is the Lucky 13 by Blackbird. men, i love this guitar! for me, it has the perfect crossover size between a travel guitar and a full sized guitar. just right on the middle. it really shines for folk songwriter's music as James Taylor's. it resembles the blues guitars from the beginning of XX century but with cutting-blade technological and architectural design. it is really light and loud.
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber