The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi Backdrifter,

Thanks for this most interesting thread, though I'm terribly sorry about your beautiful archtop self-destructing. The comment from Howard Klepper was really interesting and I am really pleased for you that Mr Benedetto, himself, is going to take care of fixing this. Good for him and good for you. I hope you will let us know how this all works out.

I'm very glad that the rest of the guitar is OK. Who knew that you had a guitar with such explosive potential!

- Glenn
Old 03-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks Glenn! It has been an interesting day, hasn't it?!? I appreciate everyone's support. The wife and child were at a dance competition and I probably would've gone mad worrying about it all day if I didn't have my AGF "support group"!

I am comforted by the fact that Mr. Benedetto is doing the work himself as well. It gives me the utmost confidence that it will come back good as new!

I'll certainly bring this thread back with some "after" photos once I'm up and running again. I also have an appointment with an amazingly talented local archtop luthier to give the old girl a full set up once I get the tailpiece back, so all-in-all it should end up even better than it was!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Hello bd -

That guitar is a real beauty! I can see why you were so excited about getting it.

I have to believe that you (and the "exploded" parts) are now in very good hands!

All the best'
Will ~
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Whoa!

That could make my frizzy hair staight!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Well, it's time to update this thread with the happy ending. I received my tailpiece back from Mr. Benedetto yesterday. It looks absolutely brand new. There is no sign what-so-ever that it was ever broken. This more than exceeded my expectations! See for yourself:

Before

After

Bob was an absolute pleasure to deal with throughout the entire process. Even agreeing to fix this for me when it was no longer under warranty and should've been covered by Fender rather than him anyway was extremely kind. He patiently answered all of my questions, and I had many since I had the rare opportunity to converse with such a master! And he went above and beyond and sent me a very nice collection of Benedetto products!

The best part is the guitar is back together and I am extremely happy with it.

All's well that ends well! Thanks to all for lending a sympathetic ear in my time of distress!

Last edited by backdrifter; 03-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Well, it's time to update this thread with the happy ending. I received my tailpiece back from Mr. Benedetto yesterday. It looks absolutely brand new. There is no sign what-so-ever that it was ever broken. This more than exceeded my expectations! See for yourself:

Before

After

Bob was an absolute please to deal with throughout the entire process. Even agreeing to fix this for me when it was no longer under warranty and should've been covered by Fender rather than him anyway was extremely kind. He patiently answered all of my questions, and I had many since I had the rare opportunity to converse with such a master! And he went above and beyond and sent me a very nice collection of Benedetto products!

The best part is the guitar is back together and I am extremely happy with it.

All's well that ends well! Thanks to all for lending a sympathetic ear in my time of distress!
Awesome - glad to hear it!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Hey Backdrifter,

What a great ending to a really interesting story! Thank you for the update! And what a great looking guitar!

- Glenn
Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM

I knew you were in good hands. Lovely guitar.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM

I'd call that a darned lucky near disaster. Absolutely gorgeous piece of art.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Default I was thinking about this posting the other day..

Interesting story, beautiful guitar and a stand-up luthier.

I was visiting my luthier to pick out the wood for him to make my archtop and I took a care look at how the tailpieces are constructed. Here is a rare back side shot that you don't see so often...

You can see in this photo, how the brass cast/machined part which in this photo is not yet finished, will be afficed to the tailpiece. I thought that this might be of interest to some. You so rarely see the back sides.

:-)

Bob
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks again to all for the support! It feels good to be playing the guitar again. As an added bonus, I think Bob tweaked the angle of the tailpiece and the strings now have more tension and the guitar has more volume. And it sounds great!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM

What a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing it's beginning, middle, and very happy ending. Lots of kudos to Mr. Benedetto!

cotten
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 PM

Last summer I stopped by Mr Bennedetto's shop and he personally gave me a tour. This is a company that does not do tours. I will tell you that this is a stand up guy. His knowledge is impressive. If he would have offered me a job I would have take one just to learn from him.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 PM

I had that happen once but it was a very old S.S. Stewart archtop. I guess the glue just gave up the ghost and all I heard was the sound of splintering wood and snapping strings.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

As soon as I saw the pictures I Thought - this is not a damaged guitar it is a faulty accessory.

However I can identify with your feelings - i '99 I bought a Collings DS2h, by far the most expensive instrument I had ever bought - and only the second one to come int the UK.
Within 6 weeks it was lying face down half on and alf off a podium at then end of a gig with the headstock in three pieces ad many splinters.

Rather than "writing it off" and claiming on my insurance - I had it repaired and after any bangs,thumps scratches it still shows the scars on the headstock which was repaired with ebony dowels.

It has been refretted twice and I played it with great pleasure only last night. I hink of it as "old reliable".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops