The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 AM

I bought one of the early Cargo's, I don't notice any issues with the guitar, but what would I know, I'm just a regular hack, but I'm looking forward to a review or 2 from you guys who will be fortunate enough to get your hands on one of the new models at Namm ...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I own a March 2008 Cargo RT and October 2008 GXi, both bought new. I notice no problems with either of them.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:13 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Well, for those of you who believe there has never been anything needing correcting on CA guitars, you are in luck. Peavey is improving that which never needed improvement.
For those who felt there were some issues that could be corrected to improve the product, you are in luck. Some changes are on the horizon.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 AM

OpenD: Great post!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And I hope they get the 12-string to market that CA had announced.
CA brought the 12-string to market. It was out for probably close to a year before they went out of business.

By the way, the CA website is active again, though not really anything on it yet (other than an announcement about NAMM in Jan 2011).
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevezenof View Post
OpenD: Great post!
Ditto! That's the most intelligent, sensible and complete post I've ever read on this subject. Thanks for this, OpenD!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:32 AM

My CA-OX is a great guitar. Nice tone, good action and perfect to travel with. I haven't had any issues with mine. I took it to my set up guy who remarked how good it sounds compared to other carbons he's played. At home it's not my favorite guitar, but I'm quite pleased with it and happy that I bought it.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM

I have 3 carbon fiber guitars (CA OX-Raw; RainSong H-DR100N2; and a Blackbird Super OM Nylon [one of 5 made]) and a Martin D-35. I have never held nor played a CA Cargo, so have no opinion on it. BUT, my CA OX-Raw is a comfortable, nicely playable, excellent sounding instrument and has made a great travel guitar for me. Like a previous poster, I don't get into measuring, etc., but I know what feels good to me. The carbon fiber guitars do not sound like the Martin, but I don't believe they are intended to -- each of them has a unique tone, as does the D-35.

The only issues I had originally with my OX were that I thought the fret ends were a bit sharp and the edges of the nut were a bit sharp: Both problems were solved when I took it to Elderly and had it set up a year ago in September. As they say in the TV commercial: "Set it and forget it" -- the instrument is STABLE.

If Peavy has recognized problems, I'm glad that they will fix them; but I can't accept that the problems were prevalent across the CA line. I wish them good luck.

Ray
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM

OpenD..great post
I have a custom GX, a custom Legend dread, and a RT Cargo. My braz Martin D-35 and pre 70 D-18's sit in their cases with their Oasis humidifiers because I am terrified they will crack over the Minnesota winter. Funny thing is, they sit in their cases year round because I like the CA instruments better. I restrung them all several months ago and have not even had to tune one since despite going from 90 degrees and muggy to zero degrees and bone dry temps here. I have owned three CA instruments and played numerous others and have never found one with any sort of neck angle issue that I could detect. I really hope Peavey does not screw things up with a truss rod or other unnecessary changes. The prices the Cargo instruments are going for now is evidence of how gret they are, and I think the prices will just keep going for the pre-Peavey variety.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Humanist

Quote:
OK, back to the groundless opinions already in progress...

OpenD

"Groundless opinions", eh?

I'll address one thing from your lengthy post filled with unsubstantiated assumptions:

Every Cargo I laid my hands on had a significant (negative) change in action when going from lights to medium gauge strings. Measurable. This was due to increased relief in the neck, and also (as it was pointed out here) additional flex at the neck/body area. Not much saddle showing over the bridge both before and after any string changes...poor neck angle.

Peavey has said (also according to info posted here, on this "goofy" thread) that they are addressing the neck angle issue.

Good for them.

Your opinions on the stability of the CA product (in regards to the Cargo) may be misplaced. Calling other opinions "groundless" (do you know me?) and labeling this thread as "goofy" does not elevate the status of your opinion.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-16-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
To emphasize the point, they had the reputation among professional musicians of producing absolutely great sounding, bulletproof road guitars. That's why the few guitars left in stock around the country command top prices to this day.
Not sure where you are getting your info but CA's were never all that popular with professional musicians and they are certainly not bringing top dollar on the used market. I think the dealers that dumped their inventory were the smart ones. The dealers stuck with old stock and listing them at full price are not selling them. A gloss Cargo just sold for less than eight hundred bucks on eBay and gloss Legacy just sold for $1100.

I think the CA bubble burst shortly after the factory shut down and the fact that Peavey chose not to cover the pre-Peavey guitars doesn't help the reputation of the older guitars or that of Peavey.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
"Groundless opinions", eh?

I'll address one thing from your lengthy post filled with unsubstantiated assumptions:

Every Cargo I laid my hands on had a significant (negative) change in action when going from lights to medium gauge strings. Measurable. This was due to increased relief in the neck, and also (as it was pointed out here) additional flex at the neck/body area.

Peavey has said (also according to info posted here, on this "goofy" thread) that they are addressing the flex issue.

Good for them.

Your opinions on the stability of the CA product (in regards to the Cargo) may be misplaced. Calling other opinions "groundless" (do you know me?) and labeling this thread as "goofy" does not elevate the status of your opinion.
I have what must be one of the last CA Cargo's made. I took the extra-light Nano's off and replaced them with EJ-17's. There was absolutely no change in the neck, relief or action. The action is light and the intonation correct. If the GC was off, you can't prove it by me.

BTW I played several Cargo's plus an OX and some others, when I bought mine, and none had any issues.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM

The last 5 cargo guitars sold on Ebay have gone for somewhere between $1300 and 1600. There is a gloss cargo for sale right now on Ebay at $1225 and has not hit reserve. A few months ago they were going for around $700-800. The market is definitely moving for Cargo instruments, less so for other models.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Regarding the Cargo: The necks are rigid. Mediums work well. The neck angle works fine. And the "wammy bar" effect you get from flexing the guitar between head and tail seems to me less than I see in most wooden guitars.

However, NAMM is only a month away. I'm looking forward to seeing what Peavey has changed, and whether the changes are actually improvements.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM

whew... what a discussion!

As long as they don't have ugly PV headstocks, and play as well and sound as good as the Rainsongs I've played... BUT ARE CHEAPER, I'm game.

No, I'm not saying Rainsongs are overpriced. I'm saying they cost more money than I am willing to pay. Different.

So when will China start churning out CF guitars that are as good as the Rainsongs? They seem to be doing it with the wood guitars...
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber