The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Favor to ask: Anyone using a Zoom MRS recorder?

My friends Uncle passed away last week and was a big musician. I was given his Zoom MRS-802 multitrack recorder by his family and asked to see if I can get any of his songs off of it and mix them. I would like to dump them into ProTools and remix them all (As opposed to mixing them on the recorder and burning them to CD), but the only way to do that seems to be bouncing things out one track at a time via the RCA outputs in the back (And then going through the nightmare of getting everything lined up, regardless of how time consuming that would be) or buying the optional USB card to access the files off the hard drive.

The stupid USB card (Zoom UIB-02) is not made anymore, is really hard to find and the only ones available are like $200 on ebay, which is more than the **** recorder costs now... I was wondering if there is ANYONE out there with one of these zoom recorders that had the optional USB card in it that would be willing to take the card out and let me borrow it for a week or so to be able to get the files off the hard drive. I would REALLY appreciate it and you would be doing his family a great service!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM

I have a similar model Zoom , but no USB. You can get an adequate mix using the Zoom, burn song to CD, and do limited editing tweaks and mastering in ProTools. I can help you with the Zoom part.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I work at a recording school in the area so I have access to some really great gear, so mixing on the zoom is an option I would rather not explore. Plus, I will be adding things to the song and recording things with his family members, so I have to get it tracked out separately to ProTools regardless in preparation for that. Since this is the last stuff he worked on before he died, I want to do as good a job on it as possible.

Anyway, I might PM you later and pick your brain about some stuff. If I have to hook the zoom up and get all the parts off that way, I might need some help figuring out how to get a lot of the EQ and effects presets off the tracks. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD