The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Mark Woolnough

Default please please help help help

You all know how i been getting my music ok but recordings are rubbish .....i just found out why .

When i set my levels silent but registering i am all set to go .Now i just noticed something that has took me back and now i know i have a problem somewhere ..........
When i stroke the strings gently and sound starts transmitting to the recorder and through my head phones along with it and only for as long as sound transmits (maybe half a second after )i have a hiss transmitting with it ...but it stops as soon as everything is silent again .My in level is so low now that i have noticed this accompanying hiss as sound transmits through my berhinger mic in the phonics mixer and to the boss recorder .The mic is new so i am wondering if the mic is faulty now as i never used to get this hiss but it picks up sound real good so i thought it was ok .
I havent got a second mic to try either .Does this sound like some kind of interferance or is it likely i have a bad mic .I would have thought that the interferance would be constant .
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Mark Woolnough

No its not the mic as i did have an old old one and its the same ....just hiss when sound starts to travel to the recorder .
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Mark Woolnough

Something realy crackers is happening now .When i put the mic in my hand i am picking up some kind of radio wave ....when i put it down it goes .

lol i get gremlins
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM

Sounds like maybe something in the chain isn't grounded properly - especially with the comment about picking up radio signals. Is it a condensor mic? A condensor mic is much more sensitive and will pick up a lot more background noise. But, it sounds like something beyond that in your case. Do you have some other sound source that you could try plugging into the mixer to record? Maybe a CD player?

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Mark Woolnough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe View Post
Sounds like maybe something in the chain isn't grounded properly - especially with the comment about picking up radio signals. Is it a condensor mic? A condensor mic is much more sensitive and will pick up a lot more background noise. But, it sounds like something beyond that in your case. Do you have some other sound source that you could try plugging into the mixer to record? Maybe a CD player?
Thanks Bagpipe ( Scottish by any chance ) .
I think i have just learned something and yes in my confusion with trial and error trying to find the culprit for the hiss i turned on the built in condenser mic .But here is what i think i have learned .Mic going into mixer ( mic channel volume on full .....main mixer volume on full also ( even some time extra gain for some reason so dim i am ) and then i have been controlling the volume useing the master volume on the boss recorder ( i have learned that all the signals from the mixer are way tooo high and was causeing a hiss .Adjusting the master volume on the boss recorder lowered the overall volume but done nothing for the hissing because that was being caused by high inputoutput from the mixer .God i'm so thick with this stuff .
Old 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Mark Woolnough

ARGGGGGGGGGG i havent sorted it yet .

I have traced my problem and there seem to be some compatability problem between my mixer Phonics MK11 single vocal channel ...and my boss recorder .On the mixer it has a red and white push in connectors for to hook up to recording device which i am hooking up to my Boss864 recorders input also red and white push connecters .When i put the head phones into the mixer sound is clear ...when i put the headphones into the boss recorder there is a hiss with the sound that amplifies when sound is being transmited from the mixer .Plugging into the boss direct there is no hiss and sound is clear .Do i just ditch the phonics mixer and use the boss as it is stand alone .Any ideas why i am getting the hiss inbetween transmition from one to the other but not individual .Thanks in advance ,.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD