The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrummer View Post
I'm wondering if whatever bracing modifications they made with the offset soundhole will impress me even more than the ones that I have tried with the standard soundhole ( and push me over the edge to purchase one )
I think that the use of the offset sound holes has allowed CA to "get the most" out of its guitars as far as tone goes.

The previous models were great, too, but were not only made to LOOK similar to other guitars, but they tried to emulate the SOUND of other guitars, as well. In particular, Taylors and Martins, as I understand it. Specifically, the "Vintage" and "Bluegrass" were made to sound closer to a Martin, while the "Legacy" and "Crown of Thorns" were made to sound closer to a Taylor.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Default You Must Try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post

Howzit Guys & Gals,

I was fortunate to test drive a Charcoal Cargo at Dan's Guitars (Honolulu). I was BLOWN AWAY!! This is the best mini/travel/small body guitar I have ever played. I am a HUGE fan of grand concert & smaller sized acoustic guitars.

As a smaller guy, I find these sized guitars to be more comfortable to play. I have owned a couple of Baby Taylors, three 312ce, a 412, two 412ce, an Ovation Trekker & a Breedlove Passport C25.

This CA Cargo tonally & aesthetically sets a HIGHER standard for this category of acoustic guitars.

I initially went in to Dan's Guitars to check out a used Korean Hamer DuoTone Hybrid w/sunburst finish. It was alright. Didn't cause me to GAS. I played for about 15 minutes.

Went over to the acoustic side of the store & instantly saw the CARGO. I loved the stealthy black color & piercing cutaway & it was a Mini-Grand Concert sized. Guess what? I just got GAS'd.

I played it & could not believe the fullness of tone coming out of that small body! The bold, clear bass tones is what makes this guitar stand out from the others in this class. Plus, the mids & trebs are very sweet. And it LOOKS Great!!

I can't stop thinking about this guitar. I will be placing an order for a Brand New Charcoal Cargo. The floor model was a DEMO - Not Available for Sale. Probably fresh from Anaheim NAMM. Definitely there as bait! Got me hook, line & sinker! Also available in natural, green or red. I just DIG that all black look! I'm going to put a University of Hawaii Logo Sticker somewhere on the guitar! It's gonna look KILLER!

Will post pictures upon receipt.

If you love small body guitars, this baby might be worth checking out.

ALOHA,
hnl414kce
Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Default GO Parlor vs Cargo

I have a GO Type II Parlor guitar. If anyone is familiar with it and could compare/contrast the sound with the CA Cargo guitar...I would appreciate it.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Default CA Cargo

Does anybody know the weight of the Cargo? One of the things I like most about the Go Guitar is how light it is to carry through an airport.

Mitch
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
Does anybody know the weight of the Cargo? One of the things I like most about the Go Guitar is how light it is to carry through an airport.

Mitch
If no one responds before me, I'll weigh mine tonight and post it.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Mitch
Ya but can you sit on the Go Guitar if there are no seats left while waiting for boarding?

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Smile

If I sat on my GO guitar it would be GO(NE) guitar.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:

Mitch
I just weighed my Cargo. I have a good quality scale and it weighs 4.0 lbs. Having just travelled with mine on an airplane from Florida back to Canada (in a Baby Taylor gig bag stored in overhead), the Cargo is plenty light.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
I have a GO Type II Parlor guitar. If anyone is familiar with it and could compare/contrast the sound with the CA Cargo guitar...I would appreciate it.

I've got a Type 2 on order myself and would love to know how it compares to the Cargo.....

Does your type have much low end? I'm planning on using light-med strings to up it out
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Does your type have much low end? I'm planning on using light-med strings to up it out
I'd say compared to what?

For a very small guitar it has great bottom end. Far superior to a Baby Taylor, Larrivee Parlor, Martin Backpacker, Martin LXM(?)

I haven't A/B'd it against the Cargo yet but I will. Cargo sound clips that I heard sound good.

The GO Parlor sounds great amplified with its p/u through my AER Compact 60.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
I'd say compared to what?

For a very small guitar it has great bottom end. Far superior to a Baby Taylor, Larrivee Parlor, Martin Backpacker, Martin LXM(?)

I haven't A/B'd it against the Cargo yet but I will. Cargo sound clips that I heard sound good.

The GO Parlor sounds great amplified with its p/u through my AER Compact 60.

I'm having a D-tar wavelength put into my Go parlor... can't wait to get it...

The Cargo has peaked my interest too...
Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
The Cargo has peaked my interest too...

Do NOT play one if you don't want to buy one.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I'll second that.

SF, have you noticed how much the Cargo rings and sustains? I'm just amazed!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I will take that under advisement and play one.....although not until I can play it side by side along with its big brother.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
SF, have you noticed how much the Cargo rings and sustains? I'm just amazed!
Yep. This little guitar literally blows away guitars like the Baby Taylor and Little Martin. And I think it sounds as good (and even better) than many GC/GA-sized guitars.

The only negative (other than the ridiculously oversized gig bag that comes with it) I can think of would be that some might not like the really short scale.

I, on the other hand, love the really short scale and the 1-3/4" nut.

The size is great . . . I can literally sit in my computer chair (with arms) and pick up this guitar and play it without any issues at all.

And I drove around Nasvhille all week with this thing in my rental car, never worried about the heat/cold/rain/humidity/etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber