The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM

Default In trouble!

For those who are following my guitar shopping extravaganza, 414ce or 414ceR, 324ce V or 324ce, Martin Gp28e or 000 28, mind blowing in decisions galore!!!! If I'm not confused enough, just played a Martin Special Grand Performance Cutaway Performing Artist Style Ovangkol Acoustic-Electric Guitar Sunburst, today and loved it. My question is when I came home and looked on the Martin website all I found was a Martin OMC-16E 16 Series Ovangkol Burst Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural. Any one out there know anything about these guitars? Is the 16 the newer version?
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 02-17-2020, 09:34 PM

Traikat, the best way to get that information is to call Martin tomorrow during East Coast business hours. Martin has changed their product line so many times in recent years that it’s dizzying trying to keep up with it.

I looked online for Martin’s customer service phone number, and found several, but don’t know what’s current. Here are the numbers that I have:

800-633-2060
888-433-9177
610-759-2857

Call those numbers and ask a customer service rep what’s current and what isn’t.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 PM

I never thought of that....thank you Wade!!!
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 02-17-2020, 09:44 PM

This forum is better than Google!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Martin also makes some guitars that are "specials" for Guitar Center, and other resellers. They will not show up on the website, generally.

I played a GPC Ovangkol model some time back and thought it was very nice. It's a good body size that is essentially the same as the *14ce (or *24ce) Taylor guitar. You will get more sound out of that size guitar than the OMC model in my experience, but I have not played the new OMC-16E model. (I've played my GPCPA3 for probably 8 or 9 years - it's been a great guitar.)

Welcome to trying to compare a lot of different guitars and coming away more bewildered than you started. I often end up liking the last one I played, but, when I go back the next time and change the order, I like the new last one .

Those are all nice guitars you list. Think about how you will use the guitar and what is really important. Something will show itself sooner or later.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikat View Post
I never thought of that....thank you Wade!!!
Don’t thank me yet - wait and see if any of those numbers work.

It used to be easy as pie to find Martin’s toll free customer service number: it just popped right up when you typed in a Google search. But this time none of the websites that offered those numbers were from Martin. So either Martin is no longer trying to be quite so easy to talk to or else they’re trying to jettison their customer service phone numbers entirely as a cost-cutting measure, I don’t know.

But in any event, ask the question of Martin, either on the phone if possible (that’s fastest) or else by email, which will probably take a day or three to hear back.

Please come back to this thread and let us know what they tell you, and if any of those phone numbers work, please come back and tell us which ones.

Thanks,

whm
Old 02-17-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Traikat,

Guitar shopping can be fun, confusing and, at times, frustrating. But it's all good ! My recommendation is to simply play a lot of guitars, go to different places and play some more (even the same brands and models), and repeat this process for say a month. Reason is, you might play the same guitar 3 times and have different opinions of it each time (conversely, if you like it all 3 times you may be onto something). I bought my 1st "nice" guitar in the mid-90's (used) at a local guitar show. I remember playing it, being absolutely mesmerized by how well it played and sounded, and then asking the seller (and a few other knowledgeable folks at the show) if Taylor was a good brand (had never heard of it before). It was an '89 Taylor 810 dread Brazilian rosewood. Still have and love that guitar today. Point is, sometimes it's better to just try out different guitars and when you find one you like, you'll know it. There are many great guitars available out there (new and used). Good luck and enjoy the journey! Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion