The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Thank-you! Yes, or even spdif, because I have AES---> SPDIF cables for my UA2192 converter
Yes, SPDIF is basically an unbalanced version of the balanced AES/EBU.

As to your OP, the Apogee Element 24 is an excellent choice. It seamlessly integrates with a Mac running Logic. I got an Element 46 about 3 years ago and quite enjoy it. The software control takes a bit of getting used to but it is quite sophisticated and easy to use. The analog inputs on the Element Series can act as true line inputs (i.e., the signal does not go through preamp circuitry) with a click of your mouse. The same inputs can be configured as mic inputs (with 70 dB of gain - great for ribbon mics) or instrument/high impedance inputs for pickups), again using the software controls. The converters are the same as used in the Apogee Ensemble Series and are superb.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, SPDIF is basically an unbalanced version of the balanced AES/EBU.

As to your OP, the Apogee Element 24 is an excellent choice. It seamlessly integrates with a Mac running Logic. I got an Element 46 about 3 years ago and quite enjoy it. The software control takes a bit of getting used to but it is quite sophisticated and easy to use. The analog inputs on the Element Series can act as true line inputs (i.e., the signal does not go through preamp circuitry) with a click of your mouse. The same inputs can be configured as mic inputs (with 70 dB of gain - great for ribbon mics) or instrument/high impedance inputs for pickups), again using the software controls. The converters are the same as used in the Apogee Ensemble Series and are superb.
Hmmmm, no USB-C for the Element 24? Odd. Not a deal breaker for me though.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Hmmmm, no USB-C for the Element 24? Odd. Not a deal breaker for me though.
The Element uses Thunderbolt which encompasses USB3.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The Element uses Thunderbolt which encompasses USB3.
Okay, I see. Thanks for that! In my researching of interfaces, it looks like UA, RME, and Apogee are all slow to offer USB-C connectivity. I find this a bit odd, especially since Apogee is a "Mac only" product.

Meanwhile, Focusrite and Presonus are on the cutting edge of that. Motu, yes, but only for their cheaper interfaces with fewer connection options.

Right now, I am still using my 2009 Macbook Pro with the M-Audio Profire 610, but I am very tempted to pull the trigger on the Apogee Element 24.

If I were to have my druthers, I'd want a USB-C interface with AES, SPDiF, and ADAT. Wouldn't that be nice?

Regards!

Rick
Old 03-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Focusrite switched to the USB-C connector with the 3:rd gen Scarlett, but they are still on USB 2.0. Here they explain why USB 3.0 is not needed: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...2-0-vs-USB-3-0

/Per

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD