The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Default How durable are carbons?

All this talk about cases and traveling got me to think why I want a hard case for my new carbon. I have found carbons to be very structurally stable but still vulnerable to cosmetic injury like wood guitars. I have bumped my Rainsong sound board slightly and dented it a little just like a wood one. The gloss finishes are just or even more vulnerable to scratches. I use clinging clear pick guards and back protectors. My son just bumped my CA into a doorway and chipped a little paint off the edge of the soundboard. It was very easy to repair but I think people think these guitars are made of steel, they are if you don't care how they look.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

Hey Steve,

What I found was that these Carbon Fibers are like the "Super-laminates" but regardless of whatever ANY guitar is built out of, unless it was from the materials of Wolverines Claws, it will still break and be damaged like any guitar. From Blackbird Guitars website, their Carbon Fibers are built to withstand "harsh" climates.

However, these things are in no way impervious to damage. Obviously don't submerge the guitar in water or hit it with a sledgehammer. The construction and materials are primarily used and selected for climate and weather resistance.

And like all guitars, treat it well and it will treat you well. Hope this helps!

~Justin
Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Other than not keeping them in cases, I treat my Cargos with the same care as a wood guitar. Under those circumstances, I would think the instruments will look like new for a very long time. I am not surprised that they can get chipped or show other signs of wear. Think of these marks as "love taps". That is the term people at The Podium used back in the early 80s.

Tony
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM

I'm not one to obsess over keeping my guitars perfect. I don't worry about a scratch here or ding there. However, I do worry about catastrophic damage, like the time my Seagull dread fell over and snapped the headstock off.

With CF guitars, you usually don't have to worry about catastrophic damage from rough handling, falling off a stand to having the case pop open while carrying. For this reason, I could get by with only a gigbag, which will keep the guitar from getting soaked if its raining and will prevent it from getting dinged up in the car on its way to the gig.

For air travel, I will take my Cargo in gigbag and hope I can fit it in the overhead. However, if I have to gate check it, I feel confident that the gigbag is enough protection to prevent catastrophic damage.

Steve, in the case of your upcoming double neck Emerald, I would probably stick with the gigbag. If I was flying somewhere, I would probably leave the double neck home and bring a travel CF guitar (Cargo, T8, etc.). I realize, however, that double neck guitars mean more to you than they would to me and you probably really want it to travel with you. In your case, a good flight-worthy hard case probably makes sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber