The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM

Default Cases for traveling with carbon fiber guitars?

Hi all,

This may seem like a strange question, but for those of you who travel with carbon fiber guitars, do you travel with a gig bag or a hard shell case?

I have a Blackbird Lucky 13 which is in a Gator case. While I have no qualms with how well the guitar will fare in the overhead space, I'd like to plan for contingencies and make sure that if I had to gate check it, it would be OK. I'm not worried about the body of the guitar, more the tuners on the headstock.

Question for you is whether or not I should be worried about taking the guitar in the Gator case, or if you think it would be better to get a hard shell case. If the latter, what do you recommend?

I appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM

I just traveled by air from Ohio to San Diego to visit my daughter. I took with me my Rainsong OM 1000. I checked it in its hard shell case and had no thought of it having any issues and I did not. I would never trust it in a gig bag, I have a new carbon guitar coming to me in a week in a gig bag. If I take it on a plane, I will probably invest in one of these cases that are made to protect a guitar in its Gigbag. Steve

http://www.casextreme.com/
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Default gig bag good

I don't know how relevant my experience is to your inquiry, but I have owned and traveled with an Emerald X7-OS using a Road Runner Lil' Brat gig bag for over a year now.

I've traveled with this gig bag to London (twice), Amsterdam, Dublin, Toronto, and Florida (many times). It has proven very road worthy and I've had no problems. With this bag I can stash the X7 in the plane's overhead.

A gig bag works for me when I'm in a city where I'm using public transportation, or on long walks to the gig. It's flexible, light, and the padding provides adequate protection for most situations.

One of the reasons I bought this carbon fiber guitar was because of its durability. I wanted a guitar that I could travel with and not worry about it coming to harm. The gig bag is a good match for this guitar. So far, so good.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 AM

When traveling via plane with my Legacy AE I stuff the gig bag in the soundhole to ensure that nothing happens to the gig bag...

(kidding. No rants, please. )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber