The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Default Rainsong DR1000 vs CA Legacy?

I am considering getting a carbon fiber dreadnought. Does anyone have any feeling which guitar they like better (composite Acoustics Legacy vs rainsong DR1000)and why? Thanks for your help. I have played both brands, but never their dreadnoughts. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

I haven't played the RainSong dreads, so can't comment. I do have a CA Vintage Performer, which is the same as the Legacy with vintage voicing. If you want a CF dread that sounds like a wood dread, you should seriously consider the CA. CA strives hard to make their guitars sound like wood guitars and (IMO) they succeed.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM

If you've played both brands than you have an idea as to what to expect, but I'll offer my opinion. CA did in fact chase the wood tone with all their guitars except the OX (which turned out to be hugely popular BTW) by bracing them like wood guitars and building them heavy which provides a warmer tone although they did sacrifice some clarity and response. Rainsong on the other hand has embraced the carbon tone and makes their guitars extremely light so their guitars, including the dreads are very responsive with lots if clarity and overtones, but people not used to carbon they can sound a little harsh.

So to highlight the negatives, CA's can sound muddy and Rainsongs can be a bit bright for some. Some of this brightness can be eliminated by ordering a Rainsong with a unidirectonsl top BTW.

FYI Rainsong just announced the new bluegrass model which will feature their 12-fret short scale neck and all unidirectional body. I spent a week with the prototype and found it had the warmest tone of any Rainsong dread to date without sounding muddy.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 PM

I think Ted covered the bases well. I would add that in an acoustic jam, RainSong dreadnoughts are quite powerful and can rise above the din. I've previously owned both a Legacy and an H-DR1100N2. I found the Legacy a bit less powerful than a typical Martin. The H-DR1100N2 is a good compromise and to my ear splits the difference between my CO-DR1100N2 and a Legacy in tone while retaining the power and light weight of a RainSong. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 05-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 AM

I was at my weekly bluegrass jam last night and one of the patrons (a non-player) said he could tell when I was playing from clear across the park. I use the Rainsong H-DR1100N2, and I love the clarity and responsiveness. Ted at LA Guitar Sales fixed me up with this one, and I am grateful for his guidance.

I play both flatpicking and fingerstyle, depending on the music and it excels at both....

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 05-25-2012, 08:52 AM

And I've bought composite guitars from LA Guitar Sales and MacNichol's and can highly recommend either of them.

Jon Fields
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM

ThE Rainsong IS a nice sounding dreadnaught guitar. Period. Mine was what I thought was too bright when new, but came to realize it was simply CLEAR, not bright at all. It was suggested that I put a little bit of time on the original strings (Elixer) before changing them out. Glad I listened, as it sounds much better. I find the instrument to be very responsive to "playing dynamics". Different picks, more or less attack, or fingers only. Matter of fact, I seem to be unable to decide what sounds the best. I use my fingers and think that THIS is the way to go, and then try a pick and then find that that works well also, then a heavy pick, followed by a light one. It never ceases to amaze me. The Rainsong sounds good regardless..... And I think that is something to be wanting in an instrument. Love my Taylor (814)...a very nice guitar by any standards. But this Rainsong is a different animal. I believe it is perhaps the best all around guitar that I have owned. I am considering the Rainsong Jumbo, just not sure that I am going to need it now. Perhaps if I get the chance to play one I will feel different.
Put everything aside that you know about guitars, and LISTEN to what you are hearing.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM

Default A Request for Ted!

Hi Ted,

Your earlier post cries out for editorial enlargement. RainSong now has several options that appear cosmetic; Black Ice, Unidirectional Back/Sides, FT/Gloss finish. And several options that seem to be acoustic; Uni Top, Glass/Carbon Top, Glass/Carbon Back/Sides, and Twill Carbon Top/Back. Here is how I would rank order what I've played, but under far from ideal circumstances (not at the same time, not the same strings, not the same age strings). For the sake of this thread and some sanity, all refer to Dreadnoughts. Some Martin's are thrown in as standard bearers. Would you consider fleshing this out with the missing entries and the "correct" ordering?

Wooden Guitar Like Tone:
HD-28V, CA, Hybrid/Studio, Standard/BI, CO

Brightness
CO/OM-28V, Standard/BI, Hybrid/Studio, HD-28V, CA

Volume:
CO, Standard/BI, Hybrid/Studio, HD-28V, CA

Jon Fields
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
And I've bought composite guitars from LA Guitar Sales and MacNichol's and can highly recommend either of them.
Count me also as a very satisfied customer of Ted @ LAGuitar. Bought both of my CAs from him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber