The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-26-2010, 09:09 PM

Default Level Setting -- Tips/Tricks?

Being new to recording live instruments I'm still muddling my way through my first setup. My system is pretty straight forward, Logic 9, Apogee Duet, and an AKG C414 XLS. I'm recording solo fingerstyle guitar for which I use the flesh of my fingers only. One of the areas I've been wondering about is microphone level setting. Originally I assumed this was obvious, run though some songs and get the level as close to the limit without going over at any point in the song as you can. Having run through a few recordings I'm wondering: Is there a magic to this? How do you more experienced forum folk level set and are there any useful tips tricks you use to do it?

Note: other fingerstyle recording related tips humbly accepted as well!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I would also add that mic. placement is probably as important as level. A good level but mic. placement will make your recording less than desirable. Likewise, a good placement but bad level (too low or too high) will result in poor quality. It really depends on where (type of room) you are recording as to whether you want to pick up nuances from the room or want a pure recording from the instrument. Also depends on what you want to "lay down". Play with your levels and mic. placement on different tracks and see what appeals to you most. Recording engineers don't get to where they are without years of education and practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD