The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Upping the ante on my archtop search

Thanks for all the replies to my earlier posts where I asked for help looking for a new (or new to me) archtop guitar in the $2,000 range.

Based on what I've seen, I've decided to increase my budget to $3,000.
I've also refined my selection criteria - The unplugged sound of the guitar is key. I'm looking for a mellow, woody sound; not necessarily cutting volume; I'll plug in if necessary for that. (I hope that description makes sense

Ideally, I'd like something handmade, but I realize I'm pushing it, even in the $3k range. I'm fine with used if quality and condition are good.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Peerless Guitars Martin Taylor Maestro might be worth a look. The body is quite compact, though, so it might not be particularly loud unplugged.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
...I've also refined my selection criteria - The unplugged sound of the guitar is key. I'm looking for a mellow, woody sound; not necessarily cutting volume; I'll plug in if necessary for that...
I'm probably the worst person to be giving acoustic archtop advice but your comment about "unplugged sound" sparked a memory.

Tacoma used to make an acoustic archtop that came with a floating mini humbucker. I want to say they stopped making it about 10 years ago...maybe longer.

They used to carry them at a local shop, and I remember thinking if I ever have the money burning a hole in my wallet, that is the acoustic archtop I would buy.

These days, you see them on eBay about once in every blue moon, but I've not seen them in my local shops for many years.

Food for thought and grist for the mill. Best wishes in your search and anxious to hear what guitar you decide on.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Quality on a Budget

I too was on a budget this time last year when I purchased from The Podium a 2006 Tim Reede, 17" archtop, non-cut, delivered for $2,650.00. Tim says the guitar was built as an acoustic and was later upgraded with a Kent Armstrong floater. The tone with Monel 13's is full and sustaining with rich bass, clear strong mids, and a hint of reverb in the trebles. Plugged in I have to dial down the bass a bit to balance it out. I believe the guitar is still shown on Tim's webpage for the curious. At any event, quality on a budget achieved. If I were back in the "states" at this time I'd seriously be considering the Ribbecke Halfling I saw posted for sale on this site. Best of luck with your search efforts.

Charley
Old 04-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
...I've decided to increase my budget to $3,000.

...The unplugged sound of the guitar is key. I'm looking for a mellow, woody sound, not necessarily cutting volume; I'll plug in if necessary for that...

Ideally, I'd like something handmade, but I realize I'm pushing it, even in the $3k range. I'm fine with used if quality and condition are good...
Here's a few that shouldn't be too hard to find:
  • Eastman AR610/810/910 non-cut (new)
  • Post-1948 Gibson L-7 non-cut ("modern" logo/player-grade)
  • Post-war Epiphone Devon/Triumph/Broadway non-cut (very-good to excellent condition)
  • Post-war Epiphone Deluxe 17" non-cut (player-grade)
  • First-run Heritage Eagle cutaway (excellent to near-mint condition)
If "mellow/woody" is your primary criterion for unplugged tone I'd be looking at the AR610, Eagle, or a pre-1953 Epi Devon; all of these boast mahogany sides/back (carved on the Eastman and Heritage, the latter also with a carved mahogany top), and the net tonal effect is comparable to that on a flat-top guitar - mellower, rounder, and less forward than a typical maple-bodied archtop. Whatever you choose, I'd strongly recommend Martin Retro Monel MM13's - while they're an improvement for just about any guitar IME (they even make my Rainsongs sound as "woody" as a CF guitar can reasonably get) they really bring out the best in an archtop, and if you're looking to capture some authentic '40s mojo they're the only way to go...
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quickstep add another 1500 buck`s and you can buy my Campellone Deluxe,all accostic!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:39 PM

One other guitar you may want to consider is the Heritage Sweet 16. I just got an older one (1988) and it is a fantastic acoustic and electric jazz guitar. It is surprising how nice it is acoustically. I took the pickup off and don't want to put it back on, actually. Dynamically, it whispers like a kitten and I haven't found the top end yet.

They run the range in price, but many of the older ones are under $3K and many of them have floating pickups. I'm not sure what they used on this - I think it is just a homegrown Heritage pickup from back then, but it sounds really amazing. Based on the many archtops I've had over the years, this is a top notch guitar in every regard.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM

I just came across this on The Jazz Guitar forum. It may fill your bill.
https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/66627-1987-gibson-175-mahogany-$2500.html
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here's a few that shouldn't be too hard to find:
  • Eastman AR610/810/910 non-cut (new)
  • Post-1948 Gibson L-7 non-cut ("modern" logo/player-grade)
  • Post-war Epiphone Devon/Triumph/Broadway non-cut (very-good to excellent condition)
  • Post-war Epiphone Deluxe 17" non-cut (player-grade)
  • First-run Heritage Eagle cutaway (excellent to near-mint condition)
If "mellow/woody" is your primary criterion for unplugged tone I'd be looking at the AR610, Eagle, or a pre-1953 Epi Devon; all of these boast mahogany sides/back (carved on the Eastman and Heritage, the latter also with a carved mahogany top), and the net tonal effect is comparable to that on a flat-top guitar - mellower, rounder, and less forward than a typical maple-bodied archtop. Whatever you choose, I'd strongly recommend Martin Retro Monel MM13's - while they're an improvement for just about any guitar IME (they even make my Rainsongs sound as "woody" as a CF guitar can reasonably get) they really bring out the best in an archtop, and if you're looking to capture some authentic '40s mojo they're the only way to go...
Lol, I considered posting, but I think I'd just parrot all of the great advice right here.

If I had 3k to spend on an archtop that would be primarily for acoustic use, I'd be looking at old L7's, without a doubt. I already have an old DeArmond pickup that would work just perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Interesting ad in the Mandolin Cafe classifieds. A Bussman "Old Wave" archtop. I didn't know he built guitars although he does build guitar bodied octaves. Pretty much the same animal body wise I suppose. Anyone played one? Hope you find that archtop of your dreams. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123243#123243

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops