The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
This is good information.

Personally, I don't like the honeycomb, seems like an affectation. I don't like the painted Rainsongs either.

I like the honeycomb ... but like you not so much the painted
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-03-2018, 06:10 AM

Is there any difference regarding to the tone?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM

Default mcpherson carbons

My understanding is that the Kevin Michael model is the first incarnation of their carbon fiber line and then they changed it to the two they employ now, the sable and touring.
I was wondering has ANYONE compared them to Rainsongs? I am in the market right now for a carbon fiber and can't find this information.

Thanks, Todd (current lucky owner of a wood mcpherson)
Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

The New Models are coming out very soon. Heartbreaker Guitars gets our first Touring Model with Honeycomb and Gold Hardware next week. The others are about a 1.5 month wait for us
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Well, in true impatient Jojobean fashion, I just ordered a Kevin Michael Sable. I found a used one on here. It wasn't listed, but combing through the threads I found someone with one.

I want the honeycomb, but that will have to wait, as I just cannot justify that premium right now. I have the other McPherson and a Flammang that were recent purchases... soooo, I have to slow down. I will likely just save up and hopefully there will be a used one on the market at some point.

@Todd- The first issue of McPherson CF guitars was the Kevin Michael Touring. Then, they did the Kevin Michael Sable. They have just been rebranded as McPherson Touring and Sable, for reasons I don't know.

As far as a comparison to a Rainsong... I have never actually played the full-sized McPherson/KM Sable CF Guitar. I have only ever played the Touring. I have previously owned a Rainsong DR-1000 and an Emerald X7 Opus. I would actually put the touring model above either the Rainsong or the Emerald. The Emerald was a smaller bodied guitar and it certainly had its limitations, though it was a great guitar. The Rainsong I absolutely adored. I only got rid of it because I traded it and a Breedlove for a Santa Cruz Otis Taylor model. It was a wonderful instrument and I would recommend Rainsong to anyone looking for a CF guitar.

With all that said, the McPherson touring models I have played (maybe 5 or so, over the years) had a better sound than any CF guitar I have played. Even for the smaller body. It just sounds more natural to my ears. A little softer. The Rainsong can be on the bright side for some. I loved the sound. But it is a bit high. Very clear though. The McPherson felt more like a wood guitar. Felt much like the McPherson. The Rainsong next was incredibly sleek and fast. Some people are hard nosed about the type of necks they like. I don't have too much preference as I play necks as small as on my mandolin to as big as a 6-string bass. So I don't get bothered by that too much. I loved the feel of the RS though.I would own a Rainsong again if I found one at a good price (I got my original one from a pawn shop for $600). This would be my recommendation...

If you have played a RS and absolutely LOVE the sound, go with that. If that is the sound you want, you might be a bit disappointed by the Sable (assuming it is similar to the Touring model).

Hopefully I will have my Sable next week and I can give you a better breakdown.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars View Post
The New Models are coming out very soon. Heartbreaker Guitars gets our first Touring Model with Honeycomb and Gold Hardware next week. The others are about a 1.5 month wait for us
What's the story behind why they re-branded these? Any idea?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
What's the story behind why they re-branded these? Any idea?
I would guess the name McPherson might just be a wee bit more known as a high end guitar making bunch of folks.
And who wants to name a company after their kid anyway...

(well maybe a guy named Dave named a certain fast food chain after his daughter...but anyway..)
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars View Post
I have one as well...I really like the way it plays and the honey comb and gold look cool...It's in my video come to think of it.

Last edited by kramster; 04-03-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Well, in true impatient Jojobean fashion, I just ordered a Kevin Michael Sable. I found a used one on here. It wasn't listed, but combing through the threads I found someone with one.

I want the honeycomb, but that will have to wait, as I just cannot justify that premium right now. I have the other McPherson and a Flammang that were recent purchases... soooo, I have to slow down. I will likely just save up and hopefully there will be a used one on the market at some point.

@Todd- The first issue of McPherson CF guitars was the Kevin Michael Touring. Then, they did the Kevin Michael Sable. They have just been rebranded as McPherson Touring and Sable, for reasons I don't know.

As far as a comparison to a Rainsong... I have never actually played the full-sized McPherson/KM Sable CF Guitar. I have only ever played the Touring. I have previously owned a Rainsong DR-1000 and an Emerald X7 Opus. I would actually put the touring model above either the Rainsong or the Emerald. The Emerald was a smaller bodied guitar and it certainly had its limitations, though it was a great guitar. The Rainsong I absolutely adored. I only got rid of it because I traded it and a Breedlove for a Santa Cruz Otis Taylor model. It was a wonderful instrument and I would recommend Rainsong to anyone looking for a CF guitar.

With all that said, the McPherson touring models I have played (maybe 5 or so, over the years) had a better sound than any CF guitar I have played. Even for the smaller body. It just sounds more natural to my ears. A little softer. The Rainsong can be on the bright side for some. I loved the sound. But it is a bit high. Very clear though. The McPherson felt more like a wood guitar. Felt much like the McPherson. The Rainsong next was incredibly sleek and fast. Some people are hard nosed about the type of necks they like. I don't have too much preference as I play necks as small as on my mandolin to as big as a 6-string bass. So I don't get bothered by that too much. I loved the feel of the RS though.I would own a Rainsong again if I found one at a good price (I got my original one from a pawn shop for $600). This would be my recommendation...

If you have played a RS and absolutely LOVE the sound, go with that. If that is the sound you want, you might be a bit disappointed by the Sable (assuming it is similar to the Touring model).

Hopefully I will have my Sable next week and I can give you a better breakdown.

Structurally there isn't anything different between the CM Sable and the Mcpherson CF guitars aside from the logo. McPherson rebranded them to make sure they weren't diluting the McPherson brand so I have heard. There were people out there who genuinely didn't understand if it was separate from McPherson, who Kevin Michael was, etc. etc. To make things simpler, they rebranded them as "McPherson" CF line.

In terms of the price difference that was mentioned earlier, there was only a difference because the KM's were being clearanced out to make room for the McPherson branded guitars, which is where the price difference came from. The retail price for the sable is $3299 with a street price of $2999.

To address the rainsong vs. McPherson, I can tell you that it will come down to personal preference. IMHO, there is not a better CF guitar on the market than the sable. It is by far one of the easiest guitars I have played and sounds terrific. Once you plug it in, forget about smaller body...those things can keep up with just about anything else out there.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Is there any difference regarding to the tone?
I asked them this question about the honeycomb. They said it was just looks. Also said they were convinced the gold hardware improved sound.... so make of that what you will.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schzacj View Post
It is by far one of the easiest guitars I have played and sounds terrific. Once you plug it in, forget about smaller body...those things can keep up with just about anything else out there.
I think you are on to something here. It is a very fine guitar no matter what the material.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Also, does anyone have a clue about the differences between the Kevin Michael and the current McPherson CF guitars? What's the difference?
Here are a few pics of the KM and Touring to compare... hope this helps..please ignore any possible humans that appear in any photos as they may distract and appear off subject ...

Old 04-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I asked them this question about the honeycomb. They said it was just looks. Also said they were convinced the gold hardware improved sound.... so make of that what you will.

In the electric world, purple tolexed amps sound best. This must be the acoustic equivalent.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 PM

I’ve got to ask... what’s your relationship to McPherson guitars? Like, why do you take all those pics? Just curious. I mean, I take pics of my guitars. But it’s usually just my guitars or, at best, my guitars and my ugly mug. No models involved.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I’ve got to ask... what’s your relationship to McPherson guitars? Like, why do you take all those pics? Just curious. I mean, I take pics of my guitars. But it’s usually just my guitars or, at best, my guitars and my ugly mug. No models involved.
I have to answer...I take photos and videos of many guitars...a hobby I guess...started back in the day when MacNichol had the road trip thing going on...if it was me you are asking.

Also photo and video a couple local events like a Music and Heritage Festival in Glendale AZ and this weekend Paddlefest at Lake Pleasant for the City of Peoria, Az. Always guitars and both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber