The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

So, an update...I sent G7th a message and asked about this capo designed for Rainsong.

Here's how they responded:

"Thanks for getting in touch! You can order them directly from our website www.g7th.com; simply order the capo model you would like, then in the “Special Instructions” textbox just before you Checkout write: “Please make this a RainSong radius capo”. We’ll do the rest! :-)"

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 AM

I've been using Kysers on my Rainsongs with no problems, but I am pretty careful to get the capo right behind the fret to minimize strings getting pulled sharp. That 20" radius can make things hard for certain capos, so getting one bent to that spec will certainly make things match up better.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:57 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I'm interested in hearing your feedback on the G7 "Rainsong edition".

I was thinking the same thing as SpruceTop - might be capo pressure. I use the capo a lot on my Rainsongs and haven't noticed any kind of intonation problem. I use two different planet waves capos, one is a partial. They have adjustable tension and I use as little tension as possible without getting buzz. It also matters where you put the capo on the fret.

JR
Old 03-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

In reviewing this thread I find myself wondering if we haven't been talking about two different checks of intonation. The initial focus was on a possible intonation problem with a given guitar--a focus on capo intonation. But then some respondents have noted that their intonation is on the money. Could it be that an individual string check up the fret board would determine whether or not the guitar was the problem? Have we been engaged in two checks of intonation?

I'm not sure I'm making sense here, just saying.........
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

All this talk about intonation has got me back-tracking on the intonation of my X7 electric with the Barbera pickup. The comment had been made that the Barbera was not a compensated pickup and that there could be intonation problems. At first I didn't hear those. But then, on closer examination, I could hear some intonation problems. But then, after following this thread, I re-checked, sticking close to the fingered fret--The Barbera is just fine.

Also, while we're discussing the problem of intonation. In going through 40-some nylon string guitars, intonation was a common problem. One solution, other than saddle change, was tuning at the 12 fret. In most of the old time guitars, intonation went south at the higher frets. Tuning at the 12th fret solved the south problem, but then the north would go slightly low. The low was not as perceivable at the north. Problem solved, if you're willing to live with a little slop--which I am.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

When I wrote my response about the intonation problem I had with my RS it was not taking into account using a capo at all.

I hope that is the issue as it's any easy fix!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Hey Mike, long time no chat, brother! Hope things are great with you and yours!!

I have a Rainsong OM and use a standard G7th, Performance 2, I would guess. I've had it for a long time, so if there was a Performance 1, maybe that's it? Anyway, I routinely capo 3, sometimes 5 and have no issues with intonation, though I'm probably not playing with the complexity and range you are. Mostly I'm strumming/picking chords that would be in the range of frets 6 - 9 at that point. My point is, a G7th Performance will hopefully do the job. It has been one of the easiest capos to use. I have a Thalia that is prettier, but it isn't nearly as easy to use as my Gth.

Good luck!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hey Mike, long time no chat, brother! Hope things are great with you and yours!!

I have a Rainsong OM and use a standard G7th, Performance 2, I would guess. I've had it for a long time, so if there was a Performance 1, maybe that's it? Anyway, I routinely capo 3, sometimes 5 and have no issues with intonation, though I'm probably not playing with the complexity and range you are. Mostly I'm strumming/picking chords that would be in the range of frets 6 - 9 at that point. My point is, a G7th Performance will hopefully do the job. It has been one of the easiest capos to use. I have a Thalia that is prettier, but it isn't nearly as easy to use as my Gth.

Good luck!!
Hi Mike! Great to hear from you and thanks for your comments. Thanks also to all of you others who have graciously provided good info.

So...an update...I got the G7th performance 2 capo yesterday and I can confidently report that it works great with no intonation issues at all.

J.R., I opted to wait and see how this one worked before I funded another with the Rainsong compensations, and I'm glad I waited. For what I need, this one is working good. So I guess it boils down to the radius as well as the tension, but I can guess it is more of a tension issue. While I can only assume that the "standard" G7th has a more satisfactory radius which is more suitable for the Rainsong, I can certainly affirm that it creates less tension. Again, the issue is fixed..all I wanted in the first place!

Thanks again for all of the helpful feedback!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Happy to hear you've found a solution!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber