The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 AM

I forgot to add, yesterday was the first time I've every put a strap on the guitar to stand and play. Sheesh, it feels like I have to learn all my chords over again!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Guest 33123

Day 4: I did my full repertoire plus new stuff last night. Much preferred a full practice to the split practice. I felt like I accomplished something y'know? But it was one of those practices where I felt like everything was going wrong. When I reviewed it afterward I realized it really wasn't that bad. I do this to myself some times. I worked a bit more on Diddie Wah Diddie nailing that thumb and index part. I can play no problem now. I just need to solidify that piece. Before heading off to bed I checked out Shuffle Rag. I need to get the song in my head before I start tackling it. It's sort of playing in my head right now which is a good first step. Looking forward to recording Freight Train this weekend/early next week.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I forgot to add, yesterday was the first time I've every put a strap on the guitar to stand and play. Sheesh, it feels like I have to learn all my chords over again!
Isn't it incredible how much of a difference a standing position makes compared to a seated posture. Then again, a lot of angles are changed.

Quote:
Day 4: I did my full repertoire plus new stuff last night. Much preferred a full practice to the split practice.
My approach to practicing has always been what I like to call "The Tri-Partite Method". It works on a percentage of time system i.e. 33% technical (scales, arpeggios, ligados, etc), 33% new pieces, and 33% repertoire. As for the 1% left dangling, I just don't sweat it. When I stick to this method (I've been known to lapse) it ensures that all the bases get covered.
So Day 4 - more drilling the new passage in the first B section and sticking to my guns re: MM eighth note =144.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM

This morning I tried to work on my fretting hand position - for some combinations in "Yesterday" its easier for me to arch the wrist (bad) and hit several combinations without moving my hand/arm instead of keeping my hand close to the neck and moving my hand/arm to the new positions with a straight wrist… feels strange but no doubt will become easier - and definitely worthwhile if it keeps me from getting carpal tunnel problems. Have almost nailed my right hand wayward thumb down so it finds itself a non-ringing string to sit on without me worrying about it. Can't say the arpeggio piece sounds any more interesting with this development but at least having my thumb behave reduces the number of things I have to concentrate on from 3 to 2 Unfortunately multitasking was never a forte, so the ongoing task of knowing where my left hand is (or specifically my fingers) without staring at it is still a work in progress. I can manage first position chords, but playing from a score - even simple music in the first 4 frets - without looking at my hand is a different matter. Recording seems a long way off. Still have not got the microphone out of the box - I was hoping to have something to record before I tried to set it up! At this rate even if I manage something presentable in a couple of weeks, I'll be recording with the iPhone mic :0
Old 01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
My approach to practicing has always been what I like to call "The Tri-Partite Method". It works on a percentage of time system i.e. 33% technical (scales, arpeggios, ligados, etc), 33% new pieces, and 33% repertoire. As for the 1% left dangling, I just don't sweat it. When I stick to this method (I've been known to lapse) it ensures that all the bases get covered.
I'm really focused on repertoire building and maintaining now (I have been for 11 years!). I almost never practice techniques/scales/etc.. I find they come along for the ride while building repertoire. I do drill sections of new material that are not going well though.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Day 2: working on fingering and timing for Sweet Jivin' Mama. Looks like trying to sing it will be like tossing rocks in the gears blowing all the fingerpicking to smithereens. C'est la vie. The dog is hiding. Maybe there's a simpler pattern I can use for the verses.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyDitch View Post
Day 2: working on fingering and timing for Sweet Jivin' Mama. Looks like trying to sing it will be like tossing rocks in the gears blowing all the fingerpicking to smithereens. C'est la vie. The dog is hiding. Maybe there's a simpler pattern I can use for the verses.
I play Sweet Jivin' Mama too! Here's my recording of it: http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/sweet-jivin-mama
Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloop View Post
All right I'm in! I just finished a 7 hour practice session, I've been on a guitar rush lately so I'll be playing every day for sure.
As for goals I think it'll go towards ear training/transcribing mostly.

- Finish transcribing the prelude from lute suite 4 by Bach (halfway there)
- Start transcribing preludes by Tarrega (these)
- Learn second half of Capricho Arabe
- Finish fingerstyle arrangement of Somebody I Used To Know
Update:
Finished the Bach piece today. It took me probably around 10 hours but it's a great exercise for the fingers, still need to learn to play the thing though. I might still adjust fingerings as there are a lot of tricky passages.

Capricho Arabe at about 75% now. I have the main themes memorized, I still need to learn all the interludes and fills. It will also take some time before it is smooth I think.

Most of my time has gone to transcribing but it feels great that I got it done, something I have been really lazy with in the past. Tomorrow I think I'm going to start working on the Tarrega preludes. I also came across Giualinis Handel variations today so I might start on that instead.

Great thread and idea! I'm making good progress with putting more effort into learning new things.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I play Sweet Jivin' Mama too! Here's my recording of it: http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/sweet-jivin-mama
Nice one Doug.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Nice one Doug.

Why thank you so much Toby! You're very kind.

Now the update:

Day 5: dinner was ready when I got home after work and my wife decided to take my daughter to ballet so I lucked out and had about 2 hours to spare this evening so I was able to fit a full practice in. Felt REALLY good. Made the long day at work melt away. Took a few tries to nail down Diddie Wah Diddie at the end of practice but everything else went great. Watched Shuffle Rag again afterwards trying to get it into my head and then got the guitar back out and tried out the first few licks. That went well so I'm off to a good start. It think this tune is going to be fun.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Day 4 – The recording setup I’ve got is a little tedious to use. Trying to run a DAW computer at the same time I play guitar is sort of complicated, so I ordered a stand alone recorder, the Zoom R8. It gets remarkably good reviews, and Zoom recorders are recommended by one of AGF’s leading recording experts. If it helps, good; if not, I can use it as a DAW front end. All I really need is the foot pedal and a place to plug in a decent mic. Until it gets here, I’ll just plod along with my computer. In keeping with my challenge promise, I made another recording. Again, something simple that still took me forever to record, but not something good enough to post.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 PM

Day whatever......(3, 4??) Not much done today. Spent 10 or 15 minutes working on switching between the barre chords, then spent the rest of my morning working on my Coursera Guitar and Songwriting assignments. I'll spend some time downstairs tomorrow, working on a few others and probably working on learning a bass part I'm recording for a friend. I'm meeting up with a friend of mine Sunday evening to play for an hour or two. Trying to hit an Open Mic tomorrow, just to observe. I plan on participating in the next couple of weeks, if I can sync the strumming and singing.

Last edited by Staredge; 01-31-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
Day whatever......(3, 4??) Not much done today. Spent 10 or 15 minutes working on switching between the barre chords, then spent the rest of my morning working on my Coursera Guitar and Songwriting assignments. I'll spend some time downstairs tomorrow, working on a few others and probably working on learning a bass part I'm recording for a friend. I'm meeting up with a friend of mine Sunday evening to play for an hour or two. Trying to hit an Open Mic tomorrow, just to observe. I plan on participating in the next couple of weeks, if I can sync the strumming and singing.

Hi Staredge… and this can be applied for everyone as well.

Spending an occasional day practicing a little less can sometimes be a good thing as long as: It's not a daily occurrence and your time was intensely focused. It could have been worse by skipping those barre chords altogether.

The ultimate goal is to set aside a healthy amount of time each day for practice but sometimes that may not be possible. in that case it's better to 'remind' the fingers of what they're supposed to be learning in the meantime.

Keep up the good work folks.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM

J-DOUG,

Nice rendition of Sweet Jivin' Mama. Well done.

Erik
Old 02-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyDitch View Post
J-DOUG,

Nice rendition of Sweet Jivin' Mama. Well done.

Erik
Thank you for the kind words Erik!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write