The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 PM

i visited the ramirez shop in spain this summer, played a few of their professional models (starting at 7000 euros .. ).. actually me and a friend visited a lot of luthiers in madrid, sevilla and cordova. in classical guitars, ramirez were by far the best (at least to my ears and taste: a very distinct, romantic sound).. now we tried some student models as well and really liked them. ,my friend bought one and i would have done the same, but the nut (the ramirez nut is REALLY wide) was a deal breaker for me.

now my budget was also around 2000-3000 euros, and frankly i agree with a previous poster. at this price range, the instrument should be fantastic, but if you buy a spanish well known builder's guitar .... well , it might not be. you are paying a lot for name recognition, and the master luthiers only build the more expensive models.

most of the not-so well known builders are in granada, but they are not big on using internet unfortunately...

i would be looking at something on the used market. with 2000$ and some patience you could end up with a fantastic guitar. in the meantime school yourself on what an excellent classical sounds like by trying whatever you can get your hands on. after playing some 12.000 euros ramirez, hermanos condes and reyes this summer, i can now feel miserable about the tone of my flamenco guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical