The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 AM

So to answer your question.... no, I would not have a Froggy, or any other high end guitar, as my only guitar. I honestly can’t think of any reason I would want to be limited to one guitar.... but we’re all different. I own 3 inexpensive acoustic guitars and am always looking to add another. I’ve also found over the years my preferences or desires in regards to guitar have changed. To the point where I’m now spending considerable time practicing on a classical guitar.

So no, I’ll hopefully never be limited to one guitar. Though that’s what I would do which is what you asked. For yourself.... do whatever makes ya happy and disregard the rest😉

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Similar debate I had a few years ago: A 1971 D28 that I bought when I was 15 with all my house painting money, and an H-12 I bought a few years ago, when my shoulder barked about hanging around a great big dread. How could I ever sell the Martin? I literally grew up with it and courted girlfriends who are now grandmothers. Instead, I put the Martinin my will as a Gift Guitar: When I pass, my heirs will hold a contest to aspiring players in their teens and ask: "Why do you want this old D-28 and what will you do with it?" The winner of the contest has to agree to not ever sell the guitar but pass it along as the Gift Guitar to another young player. And so on.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I would definitely keep both of them if it was financially possible. I love having some different flavors around so unless I absolutely had to settle for one guitar - I simply wouldn't limit myself. Guitars and music are my passion so I say: Go for it!

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Default Identical Situation ...Different Concern

I'm in a very similar boat but am having different thoughts. At 71 I have my two
rest of my life keepers almost identical to the OP's, a Santa Cruz H-12, and D-12.
I enjoy playing them both. The D-12 is obviously louder and more versatile and is the one I leave the house with for jam playing.
The different concern I have is the question at what point should I start planning on selling the H-12. It's the more valuable and unusual of the two and I don't like the thought of my non musical family not knowing what to do with it when I'm gone. My thoughts are that it would be better to try and sell it without the pressure of having to sell it or worse my family trying to.
If I had to choose only one of them to keep it would be the D-12.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I will refrain from offering any advice Bradley.

What I will say is that I like the way everyone here is now referring to the Martin D18-V as “the beater”.
Sure, take that old thing camping ....
Thank you Long Jon, yes the Martin is definitely not a beater, in my eyes anyways.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion