The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-27-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Just got a great new magnifier!

Maybe I’m late to the party, but I needed a couple repair parts from Grizzly, and decided kinda spur of the moment to add this magnifier with lighting to my order. I haven’t spent too much time with it, but it’s actually comfortable, and fits, adjustments work, and it comes with a bunch of different lenses for different magnifications. The headlight assy rotates up out of the way easily, and the magnifying lenses can swivel up out of the way easily when you just need light -

I’ve not found a nicer one (at a reasonable price) - and as I find myself needing more light and magnification regularly, I’m very happy with this -

Old 07-27-2020, 05:04 PM

Looks like that would be great for fly tying...my old eyes can't see to tie the small ones anymore
Epiphone Les Paul
National M1 WoodBody Tricone
National Estralita Bass
Many Fender Jazz and P basses
Old 07-27-2020, 11:40 PM

Looks pretty good, and I like the adjustment knobs.

The problem I've had with mine (Harbor Freight?) is that the swivel joint that holds the lens' has loosened up over time and now they just float around (the Optivisor inherently doesn't have that issue). Is there a lens tightening mechanism on your Grizzly that would prevent that kind of thing?

Does the entire white front visor flip up? Or do you flip each lens up to get them out of the way?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Looks pretty good, and I like the adjustment knobs.
The adjustments and layout are very good - feels much more secure on my head than my full face shields do - I need to ask Grizzly if they can make a version like that for my lathe work -

Quote:
The problem I've had with mine (Harbor Freight?) is that the swivel joint that holds the lens' has loosened up over time and now they just float around (the Optivisor inherently doesn't have that issue). Is there a lens tightening mechanism on your Grizzly that would prevent that kind of thing?
Prevent - no - the mechanism that the 2 magnifiers clip into ( you can double up on them if you need more ) has 2 screws that I just tried and when you loosen them, the lens mounts just flop around loose. But you can only tighten them so far without potentially stripping the plastic they thread into, so that may someday be an issue. I'm hoping that'll be a bargaining point for someone at the awesome estate sale my wife will hold someday -

Quote:
Does the entire white front visor flip up? Or do you flip each lens up to get them out of the way?
Yes, and yes - thats what I like - you can flip the entire assembly up away from your face, or you can just raise the magnifier(s). And actually, you could put 2 different magnifications in, and just pull down the one you need -
Old 07-28-2020, 07:18 PM

Sold! I'm getting one.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Sold! I'm getting one.
I also ordered a couple. One for my brother and myself.
Shipping cost gets added, but it's normal now.

But, Grizzly's price is really, really good right now, so didn't matter. The dual headband adjustment is big plus I didn't see except on pricey models.

The identical item can be found on Amazon for a MUCH higher price! (4X+). Helped my decision process a bit.
https://www.amazon.com/ASZX-Headband...custrec_signin
Old 08-02-2020, 07:50 AM

I bought one and with shipping, CA surcharge and tax it came out to be $23 not 13.95. Whats a CA surcharge anyway?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:38 AM

According to their site, shipping is $9.99 for orders under $49.99. So with CA tax that actually seems lower than what I would expect.

I'm going to see what else I need for that flat shipping rate. Their P100 filters are reasonably priced (but not 3M branded).
Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 AM

I discovered about 30 years ago that I could no longer do fine soldering work, even with my bifocals, so started using strong reading glasses for fine work. A few years ago my daughter gave me a set similar to this one, and it works fine for close work. I still have some problems reading sheet music, a combination of the size, distance and a recently developed chronic dry eye problem. Anyhow, I recommend a set like this, too.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to their site, shipping is $9.99 for orders under $49.99. So with CA tax that actually seems lower than what I would expect.

I'm going to see what else I need for that flat shipping rate. Their P100 filters are reasonably priced (but not 3M branded).
Yes - thats actually how I found it - I needed a couple other items, and Knew I’d be in the free shipping range, so just wandered around the site and saw this -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair