The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-13-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Yamaha FG-180 Bridge Cracked

Just made a trade for this old FG-180, which comes with a cracked bridge.

Since I live out in the rural lands, without any real luthiers or guitar techs in the vicinity - it costs a lot to have a guitar worked on by a pro.

1) How serious is this issue? I've owned a fair number of acoustics and have never come across this.

2) Is this repair something I can attempt myself?

I'm not a pro by any means, but simple repairs and set ups I feel confident enough to tackle.

I look forward to hearing back from you folks! I've had two of these FG180's before and I really liked them both!

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 08-13-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I think you will hear that it is do-able by non-experts and I in fact just repaired a more limited crack in a guitar I own. But your crack appears to be bigger, wider and deeper than what mine was.

Do you have feeler gages to try to determine if the crack goes all the way through the bridge and to the soundboard? How wide is the crack at it's widest point (using feeler gages again). And it looks in the picture that the crack extends well beyond each E string hole...but it could be that I am seeing a grain line.

For smaller cracks, one typical repair option is to get some 220 or 320 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the bridge to drop as much sawdust into the crack as you can. Then hit it with some water thin CA glue (Superglue from the hardware might work if it is the thin variety). You may have to do that a couple of times to get the crack filled in.

The question on whether you should also clamp it seems to be debated a bit, but I'm thinking with the apparent width of that crack, you will want to clamp it. You may need to ream out the pin-holes as well since the super glue will wander into the holes.

Mine looks brand new, but it was ebony and the crack was smaller.

Others with more and better experience will weigh in soon. But I think the answer is 'yes' you can probably attempt this one with some minimal tools and skills. Just know that the downside risk is that you might need to replace the bridge if it doesnt work out...which may be the smartest thing to do anyway.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM

That is a good looking old yamaha.

I have made a dozen or so bridges for these.

Do you know anyone that has a cnc router, I have the cad drawing for a new bridge and can email you the stl file

Steve

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

An FG200 I bought last year had a similar but narrower crack. I fixed it with Titebond III glue, after blowing out the crack with compressed air. I used a couple C-clamps to squeeze it closed while the glue dried.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM

Default a thought and an opinion

First, I'd take the strings off and see what the bridge looks like when the pressure is off. Those pins are conical wedges and are perfect for splitting the bridge along a grain line. On a good day the bridge pins have been too-enthusiastically pushed in and the bridge crack will close up some when the spreading pressure from the bridge pins is relieved.

My opinion is that if the crack can be glued with thick c/a (THOROUGHLY MASKED OFF), then the repair can have a chance to persist if the bridge is slotted for the strings and snug-but-not-wedging bridge pins are used. When a bridge is slotted, the ball ends are up against the bridge plate and the pins are used only to encourage the ball ends to stay there, they take no load, and the bridge pins can fit just snug enough to not fall out and no tighter. The bridge pin holes ought to be cleaned out with a reamer to remove any glue that got into them.

That sure is nice wood in the bridge, I hope it works out.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I have the cad drawing for a new bridge and can email you the stl file

Steve
Steve, that is very generous of you to be willing to do that.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 PM

Default FG 180 WOW!

I spent my very first fortune on an FG-180....It's literally worn out.....neck reset needed, bridge rolled, new fretboard and refret needed, a LOT of good memories in that mahogany from riding down the road to another jam bungeed to the sissy bar of my Triumph Tiger.
Maybe I'll take it down off the wall after I finish the OM build and GET OUT A SAW!!!Moohooohooowhahahaha!!!!
Best of luck with your repair. Joel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair