The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Default need help and advice

i got this Ibanez AX220qm i think it is, i know its not great, but i REALLY like how it plays and feels, only thing i cant stand the dual humbuckers, i dont play that type of music, it sounds to muddy and bassy to me on the clean channel, sell it? or change the pickups?, ive read about p90's but dont understand all the types and what they do- could you advise what type is best suited for classic rock? id like to keep it under $100 if possible, thx john
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 AM

You could try bypassing the tone circuit... Cost zero, and reversible.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Your entire signal chain from your fingers to your speakers is your instrument. I can almost guarantee that you haven't come close to discovering all the sounds your rig can make.

Classic rock is 90% dual humbucker, or Fender (strat/tele). A P90 is going to sound closer to your humbucker than a strat. In fact the average listenener would never guess that many renowned P90 users ( Leslie West early on, Pete Townshend at times, etc.) aren't using humbuckers.

Try to find your sounds with what you have.

If you really think you want to make a change, ask about how much it would cost from techs in your area to install a coil tap setup. If that is the cheapest route for you, try pursuing that. It'll give you all the current sounds you have plus single coil "thin and clear" tones. Those single coil tones will be quieter though...
Old 01-03-2017, 10:09 AM

Not something you want to hear but it sounds like you want a single coil guitar, like a Strat?

I agree with Blue (^) in that a P90 is much closer to the sound of a humbucker than a single coil.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Maybe you could find a used set of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...90-1n-phat-cat

A regular P90 won't fit in a humbucker mounting ring...
Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM

just back from the guitar shop. he said the physical change could run into extra work (H-to P90) but a rewire seems what im looking for, true, i think im after the single coil strat sound
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-03-2017, 02:30 PM

If the hums are 4 wire you can just reverse one pole on each which should brighten it some . But methinks there may be a cap in the tone circuit that bleeds off some high. Even at full on the tone pot will bleed some high off.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i got this Ibanez AX220qm i think it is, i know its not great, but i REALLY like how it plays and feels, only thing i cant stand the dual humbuckers, i dont play that type of music, it sounds to muddy and bassy to me on the clean channel, sell it? or change the pickups?, ive read about p90's but dont understand all the types and what they do- could you advise what type is best suited for classic rock? id like to keep it under $100 if possible, thx john
Blue is spot on in that there are LOTS of variables that are completely within your control, that cost you nothing. A couple I didn't see mentioned yet:

Which pickup do you play on, and do you adjust your tone controls as/if you switch? For example, do you play the neck pickup with the tone rolled back?

Have you experimented with pickup height? IMO, it is the very first place to start if you want to adjust your tone. For example, if the treble side is too low and the bass side too high, it can contribute to your problem. Google is your friend, you don't need a tech for this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars