The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Cracked brace repair - what are your thoughts

Need some opinions from the experts, please. I have a line on a guitar that i been gassing for but it has a cracked brace. See pic.......is this a major concern or is it just a matter of gluing the brace. Once glued would it have an adverse effect on the sounds and what would one expect to pay for a repair.

Thanks

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 08-08-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 PM

It appears from photo, that is your x brace that has split,it is the main support for your guitar top.

You do not have many choices for repair, to replace a broken x brace is back off.

So with that knowledge in your head now, clean the area up, provide plenty of titebond glue into the void,clean excess glue up, clamp it and allow to dry for 2 days cold weater one day warm weather, fingers crossed it comes up good.

You could apply a graft over the top of the x notch or some more fibreglass tape etc additonally if you wanted too.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
It appears from photo, that is your x brace that has split,it is the main support for your guitar top.

You do not have many choices for repair, to replace a broken x brace is back off.

So with that knowledge in your head now, clean the area up, provide plenty of titebond glue into the void,clean excess glue up, clamp it and allow to dry for 2 days cold weater one day warm weather, fingers crossed it comes up good.

You could apply a graft over the top of the x notch or some more fibreglass tape etc additonally if you wanted too.

Steve

Thanks for the response. Taking the back off is extreme. It is an auction guitar and so far the price is such that it might be worth the risk for a glue repair.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 AM

Default A thought

In order to preserve geometric integrity, maybe one of those turnbuckle-type expanding screw jacks that S-M sells could be put to use? And I surely would use a wood cap across the break.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 AM

The severity of that crack suggests to me possibility of impact injury. Titebond and a C clamp should take care of that split (work the glue into all parts of the crack with a thin pallet knife before clamping). You really need to get inside that guitar with an inspection mirror and a light ti look for other damage. I hope it's a good deal and good luck.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
In order to preserve geometric integrity
I'm not sure what that means.

Quote:
maybe one of those turnbuckle-type expanding screw jacks that S-M sells could be put to use?
I bought one of those on a whim. I like it, but it isn't necessary. The old school approach of gently wedging a stick or two in place and gentle clamping across the sticks on the outside, works just as well, without the expense. But those are only needed where clamps won't reach through the sound hole. In this case, the cracked brace should be pretty easy to clamp with standard clamps through the sound hole.

It is an easy repair for those with experience.

Quote:
And I surely would use a wood cap across the break.
The photo shows a piece of cloth, or similar, glued over the juncture of the braces. Obviously, it didn't do much to prevent the split. It would need to be removed to access bare wood to glue a wood cap. A wood cap is a nice-to-have, but probably isn't essential.

In short, if it is an instrument you want, at a price you want, I wouldn't let a simple repair prevent you from purchasing it. That assumes nothing else is wrong with it.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

In short, if it is an instrument you want, at a price you want, I wouldn't let a simple repair prevent you from purchasing it. That assumes nothing else is wrong with it.
thanks for the input. From your experience does a repair like this have any noticeable impact on the sound of the instrument?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair