The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Default My Lowden frightened me!!!

My Lowden is showing considerable fret wear across the whole board and is not far off needing a re-fret. As such, it hasn't been played as often as it should.

My go to guitar is also in desperate need of refurbishment as it gets played to death on an hourly basis. It's had more repairs than my son's Lotus and to get any volume out of it I have to play it hard - but I love it.

So I got my Lowden out of it's case for the first time in ages, put new strings on it and started to play. I played it like I do my other and it was like getting on a powerful sports bike after riding around on a scooter forever. The volume, tone and free feel of the neck and strings was overwhelming and it seemed hard to handle for a few minutes. It made me feel nervous of the power and I struggled to get an even response from it.

Then I gathered myself and took the bull by the horns and showed it who was boss. Wow....... I had forgotten how good this thing is. I've tried many guitars in stores but nothing ever grabs me like my Lowden.

Has anyone else experienced this with a guitar or is it a sign of getting older?

YouTube
Old 08-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
My Lowden is showing considerable fret wear across the whole board and is not far off needing a re-fret. As such, it hasn't been played as often as it should.

My go to guitar is also in desperate need of refurbishment as it gets played to death on an hourly basis. It's had more repairs than my son's Lotus and to get any volume out of it I have to play it hard - but I love it.

So I got my Lowden out of it's case for the first time in ages, put new strings on it and started to play. I played it like I do my other and it was like getting on a powerful sports bike after riding around on a scooter forever. The volume, tone and free feel of the neck and strings was overwhelming and it seemed hard to handle for a few minutes. It made me feel nervous of the power and I struggled to get an even response from it.

Then I gathered myself and took the bull by the horns and showed it who was boss. Wow....... I had forgotten how good this thing is. I've tried many guitars in stores but nothing ever grabs me like my Lowden.

Has anyone else experienced this with a guitar or is it a sign of getting older?
I bought an Avalon last year (a jumbo Ard Ri) and it took me a while to get a grip on it. The guitar has made me more mindful of my fret hand string muting (still a work in progress ).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this post.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-23-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this post.
, it frightened you too.......?

YouTube
Old 08-23-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

"You better knock knock knock" ,,,,,,on wood

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
, it frightened you too.......?
Yes, but in a different way.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM

Lowden's sticker shock usually frightens me.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The volume, tone and free feel of the neck and strings was overwhelming and it seemed hard to handle for a few minutes. It made me feel nervous of the power and I struggled to get an even response from it.

Then I gathered myself and took the bull by the horns and showed it who was boss.

You OK now? Don't worry -- just means you're getting old and easily scared.

But I kinda know what you mean. When I first got my O23, it really put out a wall of sound that seemed abnormal until I got used to it.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:29 AM

My HD-28 is very responsive like that, when I first got it had to adjust the way I play but wow what a superb guitar! Tone Monster! By far my go to.

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 08-24-2019, 06:38 AM

I get what you're saying, but I have a slightly different take on instruments.

When an instrument does all the things I want it to do (in this best of all possible worlds) I find myself forgetting there is even an instrument in my hands and just think about the music.

My Lowden does that for me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:

It's a sign that you've made a decision to preserve your "Sunday best" guitar by playing a lower-tier second best instrument. Guitars that don't get played don't experience as much wear, but you don't get to experience the pleasure of playing a powerful and expressive instrument.

Play what really trips your trigger and deal with re-fretting or other normal wear and tear issues as they crop up.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 AM

I'm with you on this one Ozzy (and Barry). I came across a Custom Shop Martin this past winter, and it was well above my playing level when I brought it home. Those little technique mistakes that a "regular" guitar will hide, a really good guitar will wave under your nose until you fix them. Overall, a humbling experience for an already humble devotee.

Surely there are others among us who have been outclassed by their own guitar at some point in their journey. What say ye?

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM

I have had a similar experience with my D35. It's been put away because it needs a binding repair and I don't want to RIP it off accidentally when playing... but what a bold and luscious sounding box!

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 08-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:

What model Lowden is it?
You may cringe in fear and hide under a table at my house - I have 3 (Three!) Lowdens.
And if I pull out the big and thunderous O22 and start playing in DADGAD, you will probably just....run.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Why isn't the Lowden your go-to guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion