The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

MP, that's just the coolest little guitar I've ever seen!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 PM

I remember Burton sharing with me his desire to build an instrument like this almost two years ago and to finally see it come to fruition is astounding. I can't wait to see it in person this weekend. I agree completely with an earlier poster; Instrument of the Year!
Old 10-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Okay, I LOVE THIS GUITAR, and have been following this thread waiting for the big reveal!!!! And the guitar is AWESOME. But, a small gripe, why weren't the strings cut maybe an inch past the tuner holes pulled back till maybe a 1/3" and then tightened to make clean wraps and to lock the strings on the tuner pegs which would really show off that headstock. I've been playing slotted headstock National resos for years and that's the way Don Young at National taught me to do it so I wouldn't have nipper marks from small cutting pliers in my headstock from trying to clip the strings after leaving so much excess.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM

That IS guitar of the year in my book. Beautiful, unique, aesthetic perfection. Of course it's gotta sound good too but tone is so subjective......

Way to go.

What is top and back radius if you don't mind me asking?

Sam

Ps looking forward to hearing tonal descriptors or audio etc.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Okay, I LOVE THIS GUITAR, and have been following this thread waiting for the big reveal!!!! And the guitar is AWESOME. But, a small gripe, why weren't the strings cut maybe an inch past the tuner holes pulled back till maybe a 1/3" and then tightened to make clean wraps and to lock the strings on the tuner pegs which would really show off that headstock. I've been playing slotted headstock National resos for years and that's the way Don Young at National taught me to do it so I wouldn't have nipper marks from small cutting pliers in my headstock from trying to clip the strings after leaving so much excess.
This is literally the first stringing! And will be unstrung and again a few times setting nut/saddle/relief etc.... in the next 24 hours. It will be presented better for the show I promise
Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 PM

There are a couple of reasons I'd love to attend Woodstock and guitars like this are one of them. Great job Burton.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam VanLaningham View Post
That IS guitar of the year in my book. Beautiful, unique, aesthetic perfection. Of course it's gotta sound good too but tone is so subjective......

Way to go.

What is top and back radius if you don't mind me asking?

Sam

Ps looking forward to hearing tonal descriptors or audio etc.
The top and back aren't radiused in the way most people do it- The rims taper at the upper bout on both the top and back but are otherwise flat across the body. The plates are domed in a compound manner and then forced to shape. The x brace is 21 and the most curved back brace is (I believe) 17. All my guitars are done like that, not just this one.

And thanks for your words!
Old 10-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
This is literally the first stringing! And will be unstrung and again a few times setting nut/saddle/relief etc.... in the next 24 hours. It will be presented better for the show I promise
Well I wish I was the one stringing it as I would LOVE to hear that guitar in person. Fantastic job!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I'm sure he was in a hurry. we'll get some pro photos shortly.

side note: I've been envisioning this instrument for many years, and Burton guided me in the right direction to take the inspiration of a very old Martin and add a few very small modern twists. The only reason this one won't be following me into the pine box in the sky is I hope that one of my kids will take to guitar!
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Burton, congrats on completing such a courageous project... Matthew, I promise to not wear a belt buckle when I audition it...
Old 10-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, one of the most interesting and exciting instruments I've seen...!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Now that is something you don’t see. Pretty much ever.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 PM

Well done! It looks amazing.

1936 D-18
1938 00-18h
B&H D-18 ordered

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 PM

From the way it sounds, there may be a line out the door to get ones hands on this guitar. How about a little preshow action Thursday night? Really looking forward to this week, and this guitar is certainly one of them.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:59 AM

Way to git 'er done, Burton. You must have been sweating it. I know how these last minute builds for a show can be. Too bad a lot of the show folks won't be able to experience this fine craftsmanship after the guitar has been played in some. But those who know your work will be able hear where it's headed. Tone-rite? I suspect the lightness of the build will make it pretty stellar from the start, though.

How did those tuners turn out? Are they as smooth operating as expected? I'm a little curious about the length of the posts. Was that a design decision?

Anyway, what fun watching this come together. Hope to get to see it in person some day. Have a great show. I've got the feeling that you'll be worn out by the end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop