The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Default do I need fret press or fret hummer will do

My fingerboard will be done from Carbon Fibre and I will use a stainless steel frets.

Do I have to invest in a frets press or fret hummer will be good enough ofcourse frets will have done correct radius before instalation.

I know that stainless steel frets are the hardest but I dont want to make any dents because I will use wrong tools.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 PM

I would think the carbon fiber would chip on the tangs. You might need the fret press and CA glue. Maybe someone whose worked with it will see the post.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpj1136 View Post
I would think the carbon fiber would chip on the tangs. You might need the fret press and CA glue. Maybe someone whose worked with it will see the post.
As far know CF if is correctly laminated it wouldn't chip. But my plan is to use glue and a bit wider slots (just so the fret will stay in place without risk of misspositioning)
Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 AM

if you're using wider slots and CA then Id use a Cawl and clamp to hold them in place until the glue sets. maybe 3 or 4 frets at a time.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 AM

Press or hammer, I certainly hope you choose to post some progress photos of the project. . .

Frank Ford
Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygrys View Post
My fingerboard will be done from Carbon Fibre and I will use a stainless steel frets.

Do I have to invest in a frets press or fret hummer will be good enough ofcourse frets will have done correct radius before instalation.

I know that stainless steel frets are the hardest but I dont want to make any dents because I will use wrong tools.
for your project since you're gluing your frets in anyway, you don't need to hammer or press anything in. you will need to make some gluing cauls to hold the frets in place while the epoxy sets. you will need to make sure your fret radii closely matches your fretboard radius.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 PM

I'll make the same recommendation that I made for you before... The only reason why you want to press OR hammer frets in is because the energy required to do so will hold the fret in by friction, that means that some 'damage' will be done to the fret slot much like the damage of the hole created when a carpenter hammers a nail in a 2x4 frame. In your case I think it would be best to have slots the same size as the fret wire, the frets radiused perfectly and then merely place them in with glue, maybe just a bit of a love tap with the hammer.

Oh yeah and as F. Ford said, post some pics! This is an interesting project.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:18 PM

Im still on planing my project and definitely when I will start i will post some photos. But please be patient as this project will take long time. Hopefully by end of month I wimm be able to post firsd 2d drawing.

Comming back to frets now im thinking to make more like CA so frets with correct radius and pressed in the slots. I think I know how to do manual press which should work for this project.

If this will fail then I will use glue and wider slots. Lets see what will happen.

But now for about week im out as it is time for rest from day to day life. And of course for playing on guitar this time my it will be my old mayones. But still giving me alot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair