The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Help Choose: Martin DRS2 or DCPA5

I am Brazilian am planning to go to Miami to buy a guitar under $1.000,00. I will use this guitar to play plugged (small gigs), so, the pickup system is important to me.
I like the Dreads (especialy Martin's), so, listening videos and reading reviews i ended up with these two options

- DRS2 (https://www.martinguitar.com/compone...tml?Itemid=6): Solid top, back and sides, very beautiful, comes with hardcase, Fishman Sonitune Pickup.

- DCPA5 (https://www.martinguitar.com/compone...tml?Itemid=6): Solid top, HPL back and sides, very beautifil too, no hardcase, Fishman F1 Analog pickup.

I want to hear your opinions.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM

I find it curious that I'm drawn to the DCPA5 based on your intended usage. Both have a street price right at $800 so if you have to pick up a case for the DCPA5 it is really going to cost you a few more bucks, but the performing artist seems like a tighter fit and the HPL back and sides would suggest to me greater tolerance to gigging where the environment may not be real conducive.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 PM

I would like to know what is HPL ?

"In The Wind"
Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post
I would like to know what is HPL ?
High Pressure Laminate. As I understand it, a kind of similar process to the production of Formica, engineered for making durable guitar bodies.

I'd get the wood, with the case. Small gigs will only beat up the guitar if you are careless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choosing a guitar, fishman, martin