The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-02-2014, 01:57 AM

Default 64 Gibson LG0

I've had this LG0 for quite some time. It's been through alot but still plays and sounds great to me. It seems like I'm always grabbing it first to play around the house.

A couple of tuners are bent and it goes out of tune easy.
The bridge is plastic which is lifting up a bit which they are known to do but it seems to be ok at the moment.

I'm thinking about changing out the tuners, replacing the bridge, and maybe installing a K&K mini.

I know it's old, but it's not in mint condition by any means, but like I said it plays and sounds great.
It just goes out of tune and I'm afraid the bridge might lift up more eventually and damage it to the point it can't be fixed. That would be a bummer.

I thought I might as well just make it better and play it till I can't play it anymore.

Are there tuners available that would fit without adding new holes?

Any suggestions if this would even be a good idea to do to this guitar?

Thanks
Gibson LG0 Hog 64

Last edited by rvf263; 08-12-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 AM

I've done exactly what you are suggesting to several old LG0's. I used Stew-mac golden age tuners, Rosewood bridge and the K&K pure mini. You will be well pleased with the improvements those changes will make.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Hey Tim,
Thanks for the reply. Did the tuners drop right in or did you have to drill new holes?
Did you replace the bridge yourself?
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 AM

I'm not so sure that it will be the tuners at fault. I've got two LG0s. The first one I had the plastic bridge replaced with rosewood with a great improvement in sound. I didn't change the tuners and have not had any tuning issues. I did have the bridge plate repaired. The bridge plates on these guitars can be well chewed up and may contribute to tuning problems.

With the second one I replaced the front completely. The original front had cracked beneath the bridge and I wonder if it was because of bridge plate failure. I've just checked and the second one has had the tuners replaced. the replacements are three tuners on a plate type that just fitted right in without redrilling, except perhaps for the fixing screws. If you get the old type with push in gromets you may well get away without drilling. The more modern type, where the top part screws into the bottom part probably will need to be re-drilled.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvf263 View Post
Hey Tim,
Thanks for the reply. Did the tuners drop right in or did you have to drill new holes?
Did you replace the bridge yourself?
They dropped right in (I did plug the retaining screw holes though). I make my own bridges from blanks and use the old bridge as a template. The bridge plate can get chewed up over the years and if it is this is a good time to repair it. I also use Stewmac's "BridgeSaver" to do that, works great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair