The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default bone nut, saddle and files

I picked up an Ibanez Daytripper guitar for my wife to learn on. The size is right for her and she likes it a lot. It does have a somewhat "tinny" sound to it that I think can be improved with a bone nut and saddle. I will give it a try myself. I have been looking at several inexpensive file/saw sets on ebay and would like an opinion or two about using these. I don't want or need a $100 or more set. The guitar was only $75. What do you think? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Hi Brad
Get a small triangular shaped file. As long as its edges come to a point one fill is all you'll need.
Many luithers and techs do this every day. Also alot of mandolin builders like a V shaped slot to keep more material between the strings that are in unison.
Jeff.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Jeff.
I can see how a triangular file would work on the saddle, but not on the nut. I look closely at my guitars and the slots in the nut look to be sized to each string, rounded at the bottom and rolled over on the tuner side. Are you saying a "V" notch will work as well on the nut?
Brad
Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Check out Stewart-MacDonald, the tools you need and some vidios on how it`s done.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Hey brad
No I was definitely talking about the nut . Stew Mac even sell some files with V shaped bottom. The top of the slot is more about looks than anything else. As I said many luithers do this every day. Dan Erlewine can even show you how to cut nut slots with just a razor saw.
Jeff.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 PM

if you want to reduce the tinnyness a bone saddle might not be first choice.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Arie,

I am wide open to suggestions. I have a new bone saddle, ebony bridge pins and a bone nut is on the way. What other steps would you recommend?

Brad
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Brad
Michael Schreiner has been cutting V shaped slots for over 30 years. Stop by the mandolin cafe and see the number of builders their using this method.I myself have seen over 50 guitar nuts made like this.If the guitar is worth $75 and you really dont wish to spend much try it.Once youve thicknessed your blank try with one string on the excess length. $5 is all youll need.... and the correct brake angle.
Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair