The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-28-2021, 07:15 PM

Default mic acoustic guitar

I recently bought a zoom h4npro I used for recording acoustic guitar. USB into Mac using garage band. The sound is far from the warmth I was hoping for.

I'm considering something different like a rode NT or the like with an audio interface for phantom.
I would also like to record video for YouTube channel.

I'm still not entirely clear on the function of an audio interface other than phantom power.

I also want to be able to line in my little mini bass.

any recommendations on a decent setup? under $1000 mic + interface..
again, I'll be using garage band on a Mac. I kind of dug using it, fairly easy etc. although I'm open to suggestions. and to record video with iPhone but this all get so incredibly complicated.... for me right now.

000-28EC
80'S D28 Bryan Kimsified

much thanks.

Last edited by ryblank; 09-28-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

You should be able to use phantom power on the Zoom as well as have a direct-in bass. But, it also operates as an audio interface, though, my experience with Zooms (H6 and F8) in that mode is that it's a bit fiddly. I would just record into the Zoom, and copy/import the audio tracks into GarageBand. One more step, but less conversions along the way, I think, and, like I said, less "fiddly."

You should work on getting the H4n's built-in mics working better. Placement is really important. You ever look at Joshua (Lee) Turner's videos done with a Zoom H2? Generally, it's not the gear that's the problem. Yes, some [gear] does make an incremental difference, and some setups make things a lot easier, but you should be able to get a decent sound with that recorder. (My $.02)

Video is best approached as a separate thing, IMO. Record the video and audio separately. Set the camera/smartphone for the best video, and set up to record the best audio. Sync those in your video app, e.g., iMovie.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblank View Post
I'm still not entirely clear on the function of an audio interface other than phantom power.
You are using your Zoom as an audio interface right now, if I'm understanding correctly. But it can be fiddly, as keith.rodgers says, since it's more designed for standalone recording. A dedicated audio interface will provide ease of use for tasks like setting the gain, likely better mic preamps, the ability to hook up and play back through monitor speakers, and possibly more features, as well as providing phantom power.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

The H4nPro uses the same preamps as the H5 and H6. Quality of the sound from these should be fine for Youtube vidéos. Whilst the H6 has the best built in mics of the three, all can be improved quite a bit by using external mics, well within your budget.

Even with better gear room treatment if needed and precise mic placement has to be the 1st concerns.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 09-29-2021, 02:28 AM

Lots of wise words here, particularly the suggestion that gear is rarely the weak link.

Find a good sounding/looking space, set your gear up to capture the strengths and minimise the weaknesses, trim and enhance to taste, adjust and limit to the platform's requirements and you're pretty much done.

If you do choose to record audio and video separately remember to include the camera's audio as a visual cue for syncing sources, maybe even blend some in as an ambient mic, if that's not required then keep it muted but visible during the editing process.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recently bought a zoom h4npro I used for recording acoustic guitar. USB into Mac using garage band. The sound is far from the warmth I was hoping for.

I'm considering something different like a rode NT or the like with an audio interface for phantom.
I would also like to record video for YouTube channel.

I also want to be able to line in my little mini bass.

any recommendations on a decent setup? under $1000 mic + interface..
again, I'll be using garage band on a Mac. I kind of dug using it, fairly easy etc. although I'm open to suggestions. and to record video with iPhone but this all get so incredibly complicated.... for me right now.

000-28EC
80'S D28 Bryan Kimsified

much thanks.
I don't use a Zoom so just some general observations and a quick digital audio 101

The Zooms are quite popular and the consensus is you should be able to get a decent recording with one.

That said
The term 'Warm" while used often in audio is still none the lees highly subjective and pretty vague really and hard to qualify to make specific suggestions.

So Digital Audio Recording 101.

#1 Stand alone audio "Interface" in consumer parlance is "usually" a combination box with one or more Audio input connections , for microphone/s connection. With built in mic pre/s and often line level connections as well, like combo Mic/line XLR / 1/4 jacks connectors and also sometimes a Direct 1/4 connection for instrument level connection or DI )
This combo box also has built in Analog to Digital converters (A/D ) to "Interface" (thus the name) between the analog and digital realm's and often also has Digital to Analog "out" connectors for Headphones and external speakers.....

In general terms a dedicated stand alone Interface, will have better converters and equal or better mic pre's as well as better analog outs, than the all in one recording devices like the Zoom/s

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-29-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Can you say more about where you're placing the mic and how much you've experimented with placement relative to your guitar? I've read good comments about your choice of mic which may well be perfect for your needs if you'd spend 10 minutes moving it around and really listening to the changes in your guitar's tone.

I've been down the GarageBand road for quite some time (https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-030420) and I've learned that you can really tailor your tone quite a lot by simply moving the mic towards the treble or bass side of the guitar as well as north and south of the neck join. North of the neck join gives you a dryer airier tone, south of it gives you a fuller richer tone. Left and right of the fretboard will also change how bright and dark your tone is also. Much can also be done also with the EQ function in GarageBand which I highly recommend trying out.

I haven't tried it in a while, but GarageBand does have a Movie function where you could drop in your guitar video from your iPhone, delete it's sound file and then edit in a separate recorded audio track which should work well for YouTube.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:17 PM

Thanks

i have experimented with mic (zoom) placement and eq via garageband

ill keep trying.

thanks everyone for your time and support. this forum is awesome!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Since you say up to $1k for mics. You can a set of Beyerdynamic MC 930 Small-diaphragm Condenser Microphones new for under $900 on Reverb. I found a very lightly used set of matched mics for ~$750 last year. Great mics for acoustics.

Last edited by gmel555; 10-08-2021 at 05:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD