The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2021, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Mic Parts Kit(s)?

Does anyone have any experience with the SDC mics, kits or pre-assembled, at micparts.com? (The guy that runs that also sells LDC mics under the Roswell name, but no SDCs.)

They have an SDC kit (or pair kit) that presumably clone a Schoeps or a Neumann. (Links below.)

Curious about the actual mics themselves, though I'd opt for a kit just for something to do out on the garage workbench when the temps drop. I'm not worried about the technical part at all.

https://microphone-parts.com/product...microphone-kit

https://microphone-parts.com/product...ann-km84-style
Old 09-02-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I have no personal experience but I've noticed quite a few people singing their praises over the years.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I have a friend that has built a few of their LDC's and SDC's. They sounded very nice, compared with my Gefell M300's and AKG 414. Not an unreasonable amount of self noise, or anything like that. The trickiest part is probably the assembly, but it sounds like you have that covered.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I haven't used or heard any of these mics. I did notice in their ad that Jim Williams did some R&D for them. You might want to ask Jim what he thinks of the circuit and capsule designs. Jim participates on GearSpace.

Another option for mics with swappable sdc and ldc capsules are from 3-Zigma. They have mics with and without transformers, and 4 different sdc capsule polar patterns and 5 different ldc capsules. I've used their omni and cardioid sdc capsules, and a 47 style ldc capsule on their transformerless mic bodies. Pricing, direct through ADK at adkmic.com, is very similar to MicParts kit microphones. I just looked, and they are selling matched pairs of their transformerless cardioid mics for $599 (50% off). A few AGF members have used 3-Zigma mics (i.e. sdelsolray)

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-03-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:01 AM

Matt McGlynn, who started Roswell Pro Audio, also maintains the Recording Hacks microphone database and review website.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

Matt has been a longtime supplier of parts and capsules to upgrade less expensive mics to a higher level of performance. He started Roswell to serve the customers who wanted off the shelf mics containing his parts, circuitry, and capsules without having to do the upgrade to less expensive mics.

I have no affiliation with him, but I do own a Roswell Mini K-47 LDC which I really like.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm keeping my eye on those, but as this is something I'm definitely not thinking about for a while, I've decided to keep some open searches for used stereo pairs of other brands that also might fall in my budget.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm keeping my eye on those, but as this is something I'm definitely not thinking about for a while, I've decided to keep some open searches for used stereo pairs of other brands that also might fall in my budget.
Hi Keith,

Not sure what your "budget" is, but do check out the recording I did of "Maggie Cameron" using a "matched pair" of Behringer C-2 SDC mics that sell for $50 for the PAIR.

I was pleasantly shocked by what they could do. The video is toward the bottom of this topic:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=624837
Old 09-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Depending on budget
I have not tried or heard but they (Vanguard Audio Labs ) are getting some pretty good reviews, offshore mfg but designed and final assembly/check in US (side note the company calls them "Kit" because they have multiple capsules they are fully assembled)

https://www.vanguardaudiolabs.com/

Here is a their stereo pair of SDC they come with 4 pairs of capsules shock mounts , wood and aluminum cases for $799
https://www.zenproaudio.com/vanguard...v1-stereo-pair

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-04-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the SDC mics, kits or pre-assembled, at micparts.com? (The guy that runs that also sells LDC mics under the Roswell name, but no SDCs.)

They have an SDC kit (or pair kit) that presumably clone a Schoeps or a Neumann. (Links below.)

Curious about the actual mics themselves, though I'd opt for a kit just for something to do out on the garage workbench when the temps drop. I'm not worried about the technical part at all.

https://microphone-parts.com/product...microphone-kit

https://microphone-parts.com/product...ann-km84-style

A friend of mine built 2 LDCs from them for his studio. They are decent mics. I like one better than the other, but I don't remember the model #. One was a transformerless model & one was a transformer 47 style. I prefer the one with the transformer, but I prefer mics with transformers in general.

We have one of the "snare km84s" at the studio that was just built. I haven't tried it yet, but I am giving it a workout on Thursday.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I don't see any SDC mics here at Tab Funkenwerk but there are some nice LDC kits. They look like fun and you'd end up with a good microphone. An M49 with a Thiersch capsule now on my own wishlist

https://www.tab-funkenwerk.org/ami-parts/mic-kits/

Last edited by Al Acuff; 09-16-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Chasing the Dream

I thought I was out of the music game so I sold my original U87 about 15 years ago. I thought to myself, well, I keep hearing how there are these new breed of cheap mics that sound as good. And I thought to myself; electronics have come a long way since the induction of the U87, there must have been massive improvements giving us even better sound at a fraction of the price. This has certainly been true in most other areas. TV's, Digital Manipulation of Photography, GPS, and so much more.
What I did not realize, is that with Microphones stand alone in a category unto itself. It is so much more than just mere advancement of technology. Materials can make a huge difference in the quality of sound. The Materials used 50 years ago...are different now. That is why they vintage microphones are still sought out and used today.
What a Recording engineer once told me " People do not realize how much money was given to companies of yesteryear by the government, like Neumann, just to research and experiment with things like Headbasket design. In those days post war, Monies were put back into companies to help them flow back into the workflow.
Now, when he first said that to me, I thought to myself...Headbasket? how could that make a difference in sound? Until recently, when I tried out a high tech wind screen and saw how much it effected the sound. Then I realized that Design of even the simplest things, can make a huge difference in sound. Now add to that capacitors are now made with a different process and materials use. Tubes that were once made to certain specific specifications are no longer. And the cost of hand wiring is too prohibited to be cost effective. All of it contributes to the final sound quality
Needless to say, all of the promised low end mics and their sound quality just have not come up to par as of yet. Some are very reasonable in sound quality though.
With that being said, I am excited as I see a brand new trend of new companies working hard to produce a quality microphone for less monies. I think a lot has changed just in the last two years.
This USA company is making their own capsules. Have not tried it myself. But heard good things about them. $1500 for a U47 sound?
https://heisermanaudio.com/products/h47
Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

That Vanguard stereo mic looks pretty sweet. Its on my list to get one day
Old 09-16-2021, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
This USA company is making their own capsules. Have not tried it myself. But heard good things about them. $1500 for a U47 sound?
https://heisermanaudio.com/products/h47
I've heard a couple of shootouts with the Heiserman tube 47. It's an excellent microphone. I haven't heard the FET 47 but I do know Heiserman capsules are very highly thought of.

Another company making really great mics for not much money (comparatively speaking) is Serrano. The shootouts I've heard with their 87 have impressed me. I'm not really an 87 guy. My voice is much better suited to a 47 style microphone but having an 87 around wouldn't be a bad thing and I plan grabbing a Serrano 87 one of these days.

Serrano is also about to come out with their version of the KM84. He's still tweaking that mic but the samples I've heard were close enough to the 84 and far enough away from the 184 (which is a great mic but a bit bright for my taste) to convince me to get in on a preorder deal he was running. For $600, I have a pair coming by the end of the year. The 84 isn't on his website yet and I have no idea what the price will be later but it probably won't be more than $800 for the pair.

YouTube
Old 09-16-2021, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Please tell me more about Serrano. Very interested.
From their Website:
"Each capsule in the Serrano 87 is made by hand, one at a time" .
And their transformer is also custom made...Do you know where they are getting these hand crafted parts?
And where can I hear the samples of their new 84?
So cool, that after all these years of high promises.....lower priced- high quality mics, may finally become a reality.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Please tell me more about Serrano. Very interested.
From their Website:
"Each capsule in the Serrano 87 is made by hand, one at a time" .
And their transformer is also custom made...Do you know where they are getting these hand crafted parts?
There's a thread on the 87 here. I think he answers all your questions in that thread.
For a short time, he was offering the 87 for an introductory price of $675. I'm still kicking myself for dragging my feet on that one. I didn't make the same mistake on the 84s.

Quote:
And where can I hear the samples of their new 84?
So cool, that after all these years of high promises.....lower priced- high quality mics, may finally become a reality.
You can hear the latest tweak here.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD