The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-24-2018, 02:23 PM

The X7 scale length is changing (at least on the metric side). I like that. Maybe when it gets to about 624 or 625 mm I think I might grab one (assuming the leprechauns can keep the English scale constant this whole time). I figure that will take about another year or two given the 2 point trend I see above.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
A lil something I came across in some Irish emails that somehow got sent to me a while back...
" The X10 is very similar to the X7 in size but with a full scale length and a slimmer more electric style neck. "
"The X10 has a stereo switch jack. When a mono cable is plugged in everything is blended onboard but with a stereo cable you get both pickups separately. very handy."
That is an interesting premise. Being able to blend onboard would be great. Are you saying with a stereo cable you could run to two different outputs?

I have used an A/B/Y pedal with my T5 to run it to an acoustic amp and an electric amp, but no way to blend it at the guitar, other than the 5 way switch.

Yes, a very interesting premise.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
The X7 scale length is changing (at least on the metric side). I like that. Maybe when it gets to about 624 or 625 mm I think I might grab one (assuming the leprechauns can keep the English scale constant this whole time). I figure that will take about another year or two given the 2 point trend I see above.
I agree with this. Wish the scale length was at least 24.5 inches. If it was, I would be seriously looking at ordering an x7. I really like the new specs otherwise.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Are you saying with a stereo cable you could run to two different outputs?
I believe I am yes...oh and I had an early T5 and a couple Godins with both acoustic and electric pickups and one with the 13 pin midi.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I believe I am yes...oh and I had an early T5 and a couple Godins with both acoustic and electric pickups and one with the 13 pin midi.
I can confirm the stereo out, so yea, could run the humbucker to an amp or pedalboard and the piezo to the board etc, then mute one channel or have two volume pedals....lots to consider. As someone who leads worship and wouldn't mind throwing a quick electric switch in for a song or even just a chorus it really has been piquing my interest
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
I agree with this. Wish the scale length was at least 24.5 inches. If it was, I would be seriously looking at ordering an x7. I really like the new specs otherwise.
I know Emerald does a 24.6" scale on the X20 (there is an upcharge) - I would imagine that is something they could do for you on an X7. Although I have to say that 24" scale is a good fit for my X7 (the slightly older, smaller version).
Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder which of 24" and 615mm (24.2") is accurate.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I know Emerald does a 24.6" scale on the X20 (there is an upcharge) - I would imagine that is something they could do for you on an X7. Although I have to say that 24" scale is a good fit for my X7 (the slightly older, smaller version).
Either that or wait for the new, yet-to-be-announced X13
Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 AM

My X7 is already a pretty tight fit lengthwise in the gig bag, I s’pose you could squeeze another half inch in .... maybe.

I guess they could give you an X10 bag, but that would be a bit floppy.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder which of 24" and 615mm (24.2") is accurate.
I just had a chat session with Emerald, and he measured it out to 24.1" (which converts to a little over 612mm). As far as the upcharge goes, it would be $450 for a custom scale length.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 06-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I just had a chat session with Emerald, and he measured it out to 24.1" (which converts to a little over 612mm). As far as the upcharge goes, it would be $450 for a custom scale length.
Thanks for the info! I would love an x7 with a slightly longer scale length, but that upcharge probably puts it out of budget. Either way, I am looking forward to comparisons of the old vs new x7 when people start receiving their new ones.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I would love an x7 with a slightly longer scale length, but that upcharge probably puts it out of budget. Either way, I am looking forward to comparisons of the old vs new x7 when people start receiving their new ones.
You're in good company. I think there are a lot us us munching on popcorn waiting for the first comparisons to come in. At least we're hanging out in the right place.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I think there are a lot us us munching on popcorn .
Mmmmmm... pop corn..I'm in!

Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I think I'm gonna need something more substantial than popcorn... 3 distinctly new models? Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
My X7 is already a pretty tight fit lengthwise in the gig bag, I s’pose you could squeeze another half inch in .... maybe.

I guess they could give you an X10 bag, but that would be a bit floppy.
I have a 24 3/4" scale X7 nylon -- slotted head stock is longer than steel string head stock, 13 frets to body gets back some length. Fits tightly in X7 gig bag, more tightly than my 24" scale X7 steel string. Don't know how that translates to new X7. The difference between those scales just isn't significant for me. I would (and may) go with standard 24" (+ a little?) new X7. 3 X7 guy!! -- would feel kramster-esk!

Last edited by JimCA; 06-25-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
3 X7 guy!! -- would feel kramster-esk!
I like your math

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber