The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
sweetwater still as plenty of them.. don't temp me.
Yep...I finally cracked and ordered a 317 today. Should be here Saturday. I had Martin’s new slope dread (DSS-17) for the past few months and really liked it. Light, loud, responsive. But it’s raw, honky-tonk tone included some jangly trebles I ultimately couldn’t make peace with or tame despite testing a variety of strings.

Having a D-41 I don’t need another highend guitar (like a 517 or 717)...just a decent, easy playing mid-level backup. Hopefully the 317 will fill that niche nicely.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Was at the Taylor Roadshow a week or so ago and the Taylor Rep said as the web site said; a limited number are available to a limited amount of dealers. All in all only 2000 are being made, period. Keep in mind, except for the 317 the others are builders editions, which in and of itself is limited. It is probably safe to say the line will be extended into other series. I am of the reasoning this was done to see how the instrument would go over. The GP's will likely expand through the series based on what the 317 is built on. Summer NAMM is around the corner. Hmmm! 817 is looking good!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...I finally cracked and ordered a 317 today. Should be here Saturday. I had Martin’s new slope dread (DSS-17) for the past few months and really liked it. Light, loud, responsive. But it’s raw, honky-tonk tone included some jangly trebles I ultimately couldn’t make peace with or tame despite testing a variety of strings.

Having a D-41 I don’t need another highend guitar (like a 517 or 717)...just a decent, easy playing mid-level backup. Hopefully the 317 will fill that niche nicely.
Good for you! I love my 317e! For the light fingerstyle I play 99% of the time, I found the 317e to have the darkest, richest sounding trebles of the 3 models.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Was at the Taylor Roadshow a week or so ago and the Taylor Rep said as the web site said; a limited number are available to a limited amount of dealers. All in all only 2000 are being made, period. Keep in mind, except for the 317 the others are builders editions, which in and of itself is limited. It is probably safe to say the line will be extended into other series. I am of the reasoning this was done to see how the instrument would go over. The GP's will likely expand through the series based on what the 317 is built on. Summer NAMM is around the corner. Hmmm! 817 is looking good!
I'll bet a 327 (hog, Tasmanian blackwood) would be incredible!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Read my mind.....
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I agree. Andy, are you listening????
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wow...I didn't figure you to turn lose of the DSS-17 Roy? But I've sure traded and bought/sold my share. Hope it all works out to you liking. Still haven't had the chance to try a GP but am looking forward to the opportunity. Congrats on the NGD in advance!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Wow...I didn't figure you to turn lose of the DSS-17 Roy? But I've sure traded and bought/sold my share. Hope it all works out to you liking. Still haven't had the chance to try a GP but am looking forward to the opportunity. Congrats on the NGD in advance!
The DSS-17 is a great guitar, Jim. An amazing value at that price point. It just ultimately didn’t mesh with my playing style and (low) skills. Flat picking was great...but my aggressive strumming style brought out those jangly trebles. In some styles of music that raw/brash tone would be a plus...but not the stuff I play.

Honestly, I’m pretty spoiled by my D-41, which is superb in every way and forgiving when I get into a crazy strumming groove. The slope Martin is just the latest guitar it’s driven from the herd. We’ll see if the 317 is a keeper...

Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

No pun intended Roy...but you're "preaching to the choir"! Been there...done that. Too many times. You're right...the D-41 is a great guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The DSS-17 is a great guitar, Jim. An amazing value at that price point. It just ultimately didn’t mesh with my playing style and (low) skills. Flat picking was great...but my aggressive strumming style brought out those jangly trebles. In some styles of music that raw/brash tone would be a plus...but not the stuff I play.

Honestly, I’m pretty spoiled by my D-41, which is superb in every way and forgiving when I get into a crazy strumming groove. The slope Martin is just the latest guitar it’s driven from the herd. We’ll see if the 317 is a keeper...
Here's an idea; don't judge the other guitars against your D41. It sounds like it is a hoss and that is great, but let other guitars inform you of their strengths and then let them lead you where they want to go. Your playing style will evolve in ways that might surprise and please you...
Old 05-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yep...I finally cracked and ordered a 317 today. Should be here Saturday.
"One guitar is enough..."

Briefest signature line ever!

Congrats and looking forward to your impressions.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
"One guitar is enough..."

Briefest signature line ever!

Congrats and looking forward to your impressions.
Mea culpa.

The DSS-17 sold fast (3 days) on Reverb and I had a pocket full of money. And you know what happens when guitar players have some cash.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Just to clarify in my own mind, were you told that Taylor will only produce 2000 total Grand Pacifics (inclusive of all three variations) and then stop production??
Old 05-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

I was wondering if that DSS was going to stick around.... The Pacifics look good.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-29-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneNut74 View Post
Just to clarify in my own mind, were you told that Taylor will only produce 2000 total Grand Pacifics (inclusive of all three variations) and then stop production??
2000 of the Builders Editions only. The 17 body style is here to stay. What remains a mystery is where will it appear in the series going forward beyond the 300 series. He would not budge on that, claimed he did not know. My opinion is it will also transition to the 500 and 700 series as a regular model. My hope is for the 800 series. Hopefully Summer NAMM will introduce more GP's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion