The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Wow ! Thanks for that info. You know, I've come to think of guitar building as an art. You just gave it a healthy dose of science for me ! Thanks ! John
An art is just science with too many variables.
et al
Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Still going !!??

Scrolling through looking for my most recent thread and found this one, I thought was dead, but a lot of good info here since my last post. FWIW, I've decided to go with Grandillo back and sides (Hormigo sets apparently not likely to have a sap line for some reason) and either moon spruce or what I am calling a "techno top" that is somehow sonically pre-tuned to various tonal frequencies and then further refined in the final build (Ed Bond could explain better than I).

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Alan, that was what I was trying to say but you said better. As for Bubinga, I like the looks of it but Ive not liked the sound of the guitars Ive heard built with it so no I wouldnt be lusting for it. I may be buying a Wenge guitar this month so Ill let you know how this one sounds. Like Alan said, what a wood piece can do depends on the builder.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Scrolling through looking for my most recent thread and found this one, I thought was dead, but a lot of good info here since my last post. FWIW, I've decided to go with Grandillo back and sides (Hormigo sets apparently not likely to have a sap line for some reason) and either moon spruce or what I am calling a "techno top" that is somehow sonically pre-tuned to various tonal frequencies and then further refined in the final build (Ed Bond could explain better than I).

John
Maybe Granadillo wood?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Paduak is a good alternative.. Please read quote'
Noted luthier Dana Bourgeois has said that, “Padauk is the most promising replacement for generic Rosewood”. It is one of a number of woods that various folks claim as a good substitute for Brazilian rosewood. The lumber is readily available in larger planks, so the sets are moderately priced and exhibit good, straight grain throughout most pieces. Huge logs are available, producing well quartered, straight grain sets. Larger sizes are sometimes available (for basses and baritones). It grows fast and supply is not limited by environmental constraints.

Dan
Old 04-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Working with paduak is like riding in a huey after an Agent Orange drop, except the orange dust isn't quite as toxic.
It does make a nice guitar, but the bright orange dust covers everything.
et al
Old 04-05-2019, 07:25 AM

Default Oooops !

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Maybe Granadillo wood?
No maybe about it. I guess if I am going to own a guitar made out of it I might want to learn how to spell it and pronounce it !! Tahnks !

John

Ooops ! Thanks !
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Paduak is a good alternative.. Please read quote'
Noted luthier Dana Bourgeois has said that, “Padauk is the most promising replacement for generic Rosewood”. It is one of a number of woods that various folks claim as a good substitute for Brazilian rosewood. The lumber is readily available in larger planks, so the sets are moderately priced and exhibit good, straight grain throughout most pieces. Huge logs are available, producing well quartered, straight grain sets. Larger sizes are sometimes available (for basses and baritones). It grows fast and supply is not limited by environmental constraints.
Dan

As a matter of fact, Ed Bond has already built me a sloped dread out of paduk back and sides with maple back stripe, and master grade adi. lets see if I can get a link to a pic or a build thread. Tinker is his up-scale line from his Halcyon. Incredibly beautiful, blingy guitar woods and craftsmanship with an excellent tone.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=348738

This next one will be a Halcyon Grand Auditorium, fan fret, Cut away, but I am frankly over the time and work it takes to do a build thread (especially with my out dated computer system) so won't be talking about or showing much of the build but I think she is going to be a beast based on my 000 Halcyon out of Primavera back and sides.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=324410

I highlight these two builds as they are part of my own journey/search for that ultimate BRW substitute that has produced two amazing guitars.

John

I highl
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-05-2019 at 09:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion