The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Northwood OM - newbie questions

Hi,

New to the forum and to acoustic guitars (somewhat).

I just acquired a Northwood OM in a trade. It has Brazilian Rosewood sides and back, and a bear claw sitka spruce top. I am really new to the world of Northwood acoustics and the Northwood site doesn't have much info....can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

BT

Last edited by bterry; 03-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Musical minimalist

what info are you looking for?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Hi,

Just looking for opinions on Northwood in general, also on my specific model. I could not find another like it exactly, does he build these custom order?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM

As I've said before in other threads, the best-sounding guitar I've ever owned OR played personally was a custom Northwood mini-jumbo that John McQuarrie built to my specs some years back. It featured old-growth Brazilian back and sides, bearclaw sitka top, a Florentine cutaway, bone saddle and 1 7/8" nut, flamed Koa binding, and FWI bridge pins (that I swapped in to replace the ebony originals).

It was loud. It was rich in overtones without mucking up the fundamentals. It sustained forever. It projected, and barked when I wanted it to bark. It was meticulously constructed -- John is absolutely fanatic about his fit and finish. It was a fingerstylist's dream, but it more than held its own at Steve Kaufman's flatpicking "kamp," especially in his hands (he gave it a try after commenting on how nice it looked).

John may not be the best-known luthier around, but IMHO he's definitely one of the best. A Northwood Brazilian OM, eh? I'm a little envious....

Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Musical minimalist

if this is the one that's been on Ebay from Oasis guitars in Florida, it's a newer example I believe. Pretty guitar.

I have a Northwood OM in Engelmann and Braz here right now that is from 2000. I'd assume that as John has gone on, he's lightened up his builds and they are even better now. The one I have has a very unique and pleasing voice, much different than the other Northwoods I've owned.

I think he builds about 50-60 instruments a year and is a one man show. He does build custom instruments and also some for "stock". I have a friend in San Antonio that has ordered several special instruments from John and has been very happy with all of them....

Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM

Yes, that's the one - I got it from him in a recent trade deal.

Amazing guitar - wonderful sound and a joy to play. I think I'll email John to get all the details on it...the guitar is very light - I believe it's a 2005 build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion