The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt1966 View Post
It is not per se an investment, but why take a financial hit if you don't have to?
very true but taking a hit on gear affect people differently. in my case, i wouldn't want to take a financial hit if i can but i ain't holding my breath for it, and to tell you the truth, it doesn't worry me. it might matter to some, but everyone has variation in situation. to me, they're tools and they go through wear and tear so recouping cost isn't a huge worry for me as long as they help me get the music done. i can say that i've never really bought an instrument with the words "investment" and "financial hit" in my head. if it does the job and i dig it, i buy the thing.

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-14-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
I remember seeing Ty Tabor take his Zion electric and throw it straight up into the air at the end of his solo. Yikes! Never got inot that stuff as my gig is in church and wild stuff like that isn't done where I go. Not saying it's wrong but..................
You're a KingsX fan? i love their work.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Yes, Back when Ty was using the old school solid state pre amps (Lab 5) I built one for him to mount in a rack. We used to hang with those guys back in that time peroid. Ty is the king of drop D. I almost ended up with one of his strats on a trade for a lap steel I had which he had borrowed for some recording.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht77 View Post
very true but taking a hit on gear affect people differently. in my case, i wouldn't want to take a financial hit if i can but i ain't holding my breath for it, and to tell you the truth, it doesn't worry me. it might matter to some, but everyone has variation in situation. to me, they're tools and they go through wear and tear so recouping cost isn't a huge worry for me as long as they help me get the music done. i can say that i've never really bought an instrument with the words "investment" and "financial hit" in my head. if it does the job and i dig it, i buy the thing.

i kinda find it odd for someone who doesn't consider these instruments "investments" per se, you talk quite a bit about value statistics for guitars.
I think in this day and age, not to consider the real economic cost of anything is just not being sensible. Where there is just not as much money going around and not as much money that is available, it makes sense to quantify the real cost of everything you buy... and if you knew there was a back end value that ultimately will be realized, it makes the initial expenditure not really seem so bad. Does that make sense? This same analysis I believe should be applied to purchasing a watch for example... where a Rolex holds its value much better than a Breitling for example.... or a car where a Honda holds its used value better than say a Ford.... you look at the purchase price and then factor in the value at the end of a period of time, thereby giving you the net cost (ignoring the time value of money).
Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, Back when Ty was using the old school solid state pre amps (Lab 5) I built one for him to mount in a rack. We used to hang with those guys back in that time peroid. Ty is the king of drop D. I almost ended up with one of his strats on a trade for a lap steel I had which he had borrowed for some recording.
that must have been back in the day, he hasn't played Zion in a while, right? he got that endorsement with Yamaha in the 90s and i can't exactly pinpoint where he stopped playing one brand to switch to the other.

yes, he is THE king of dropped D. I toured with Helmet for a few shows in the 90s and Kings X is a massive inspiration for the band.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Yes is was a long time ago maybe 1990 or so. Those guys were loud in concert my ears are still ringing. My Wife used to do a newsletter for them.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I think in this day and age, not to consider the real economic cost of anything is just not being sensible. Where there is just not as much money going around and not as much money that is available, it makes sense to quantify the real cost of everything you buy... and if you knew there was a back end value that ultimately will be realized, it makes the initial expenditure not really seem so bad. Does that make sense? This same analysis I believe should be applied to purchasing a watch for example... where a Rolex holds its value much better than a Breitling for example.... or a car where a Honda holds its used value better than say a Ford.... you look at the purchase price and then factor in the value at the end of a period of time, thereby giving you the net cost (ignoring the time value of money).
i know what you are saying, i just can't relate to your point because i don't buy guitars with the idea that its going to "hold value." this hold true even with my vintage gear. sorry, but i don't do a detailed cost analysis when i buy music gear apart from using the following criteria: i am comfy with the cost? will it do the job well? does it sound b*^tchin? i don't really do detailed cost analysis or use SAS when visiting my local guitar store

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-14-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Yes is was a long time ago maybe 1990 or so. Those guys were loud in concert my ears are still ringing. My Wife used to do a newsletter for them.
very nice.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Intereting that most of the under 10k guitars would take a pretty good hit in value (regardless of whether you sold it or not)... but getting up there in the 10-15k range you would likely not take nearly the same percent loss in economic value. Imagine if you bought a used one for 10k, played it for 5 years and sold it for 10k...Yes there is some loss in value but that is attributable to inflation and cost of living increases but you HAVE gotten to enjoy it. Beats spending 7k, and having it worth 3k at the end.
I'd rather spend $7k on a guitar that sounds like $7k guitar and take the hit, than spend $10-15k on a $5k guitar and not take the hit.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=20656
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteom View Post
I'd rather spend $7k on a guitar that sounds like $7k guitar and take the hit, than spend $10-15k on a $5k guitar and not take the hit.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=20656
Interesting thread from 2003. That was 8 years ago LOL

Looks like about 35 people disagree with you... to each his own:

FROM THE OTHER POST:
I just checked the Luthiers' Gallery Website and they have about a dozen Olsens for sale, new and used. Now what does that tell you?

I JUST CHECKED TODAY, there are NONE. Hmmm... I guess alot has changed in 8 years LOL

Last edited by dirt1966; 12-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Default what does this tell you?

Quote:

FROM THE OTHER POST:
I just checked the Luthiers' Gallery Website and they have about a dozen Olsens for sale, new and used. Now what does that tell you?

I JUST CHECKED TODAY, there are NONE. Hmmm... I guess alot has changed in 8 years LOL
that some people like Olson guitars? there some that don't and a cursory search of posts on the forum shows this to be true. for every 35 (or more) Olsons for sale, there are probably an equal number or more who don't dig the tone of the guitar and share the sentiment of peteom. for every 35-some folks that go gaga over olsons, there are an equal number that go "meh." thus is the natural balance of things

this back and forth posting about Olsons and liking-Olsons reminds me of the dialogue between Dick and Barry in the movie "High Fidelity" pertaining to stating preference between 2 versions of a song. link: http://youtu.be/yVv5sIY57TA

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-14-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
that some people like Olson guitars? there some that don't and a cursory search of posts on the forum shows this to be true. for every 35 (or more) Olsons for sale, there are probably an equal number or more who don't dig the tone of the guitar and share the sentiment of peteom. for every 35-some folks that go gaga over olsons, there are an equal number that go "meh." thus is the natural balance of things

i read the "Holy Grail" thread asking if Olsons fit that bill...while i don't doubt that they are great guitars, I don't think they are THE Holy Grail of Handmade Acoustic guitars but this is a difficult concept because what is one man's Holy Grail could very well be another's man's Coffee Mug.
To each his own for sure.... but those 35 guitars that are above... are ALL SOLD....preordered...... there must be something to it if in the worst economic downturn in forever that there are 35 people waiting for him to finish guitars with an average price of probably 15k..... that must say something. I know other builders have some backlog like Kim Walker and Wayne Henderson that are very lengthy.... but I think most guitar afficianados would count Olsons, Ryans, Traugotts, Somogyis and others in the top rated group. I have played most of these and I can honestly say that I like a few of them and own a couple of them.

We all have freedom to make choices, prioritize purchasing decisions, buy cheap, buy expensive, buy Ryan, buy Martin, or whatever else you like... it's all good. I am just suggesting that one consider the financial aspects of any purchasing decision. You obviously have the freedom to consider it or ignore it... like I said, it's all good. It's America and we have the freedom to make a choice.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
To each his own for sure.... but those 35 guitars that are above... are ALL SOLD....preordered...... there must be something to it if in the worst economic downturn in forever that there are 35 people waiting for him to finish guitars with an average price of probably 15k..... that must say something.
yeah, it does say something: it says that even in this economic climate, there are folks who can afford to spend 15K on a guitar and like it enough to pay for the price of admission. so...umm....yay for him i guess?

i find it interesting how people put varying degrees of thought into buying guitars. when i started buying custom made stuff, it introduced me into a new bracket of cost as a factor but i never abandoned the main concern I ALWAYS had a guitar player and a musician: does the guitar feel good, sound good and speak to me well enough that I can't wait to gig and write songs with the thing? while for some guitars serve a means to an end to play music, others put lots of thought into it -investment concerns, prestige, aesthetics blah blah blah; its mind boggling. i just want to play music, period.

Last edited by sehnsucht77; 12-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
yeah, it does say something: it says that even in this economic climate, there are folks who can afford to spend 15K on a guitar and like it enough to pay for the price of admission. so...umm....yay for him i guess?
Probably Yay for his buyers... they seem glad to step up to the plate.

I understand many of his buyers are repeat customers. But I am sure that is the case with Somogyi's, Ryans and Traugotts also... though I have not played one of each of these, am looking forward to it one day. Heard all three of these guys are great to work with... and some of the others that are local here: Klepper, Sexauer, McKnight, Cornerstone, Stehr, Greenfield are supposed to be great too.... There are obviously lots of great builders to choose from, some I have mentioned and some I have not....and some economic loss is expected I suppose. One just would hope there would not be much or at least keep it to the minimum.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Probably Yay for his buyers... they seem glad to step up to the plate.

I understand many of his buyers are repeat customers. But I am sure that is the case with Somogyi's, Ryans and Traugotts also... though I have not played one of each of these, am looking forward to it one day. Heard all three of these guys are great to work with... and some of the others that are local here: Klepper, Sexauer, McKnight, Cornerstone, Stehr, Greenfield are supposed to be great too.... There are obviously lots of great builders to choose from, some I have mentioned and some I have not....and some economic loss is expected I suppose. One just would hope there would not be much or at least keep it to the minimum.
played a Ryan and a Somogyi -wonderful guitars. i haven't played a traugott yet.

Mike Greenfield is an awesome guy and so is Joel Stehr. Both have a 2-ish year backlog right now, i think. Wonderful workmanship and guitars from those guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop