The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Default Help Stringing Round Cores

So I have this habit of "knotting" my strings when I change strings. I loop them around then pull them tight with some needle nose. I have several sets of round cores and don't want to kill them while putting them on. Any recommendations on how to do that?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Well, SF, I don't know about the "knotting" bit as I just use the over/under method. I have not found a need to use pliers as part of this process so I am not quite sure how you are using those. The biggest issue with round cores is to bring them up to pitch before you trim off the excess amount of string. Do not pre-cut the string as one would do using what has become known as the Taylor method of re-stringing. Hope this helps.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Starting with the low E, pull the string up to the next tuning post and put a 90* bend in it Slip it through the hole on the E post and wind it up. I like 1 over and 1 under but it doesn't matter. Do the same for the A, then D. Then go e, B, G and you're almost finished. Don't trim the strings until they have been brought up to tune. Then you're finished.

Leave the pliers in the toolbox.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Starting with the low E, pull the string up to the next tuning post and put a 90* bend in it Slip it through the hole on the E post and wind it up. I like 1 over and 1 under but it doesn't matter. Do the same for the A, then D. Then go e, B, G and you're almost finished. Don't trim the strings until they have been brought up to tune. Then you're finished.

Leave the pliers in the toolbox.
This ^^^^ and you won't have any problems

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Slot head I 90 degree and cut. No problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion