The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM

I had the fingernails on my fretting hand surgically removed so I wouldn’t have to worry about the nails. Picking hand just a touch up every few days.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi bp

I never cut nails. Nail clippers split the ends of nails and start cracks running down them. If you ever split one you will not likely clip anymore either.

I file nails as often as needed. It's not on a schedule. If I play more, I'm probably filing less because I'm an all flesh player with a hint of nail, and I strum with the backs of nails (middle and ring), and the side of the thumb nail for upstroke. Chunky strumming I do with thumb & 1st nail.

This wears then nails on my picking hand down. They mostly just need reshaping.

The fretting hand as needed so 1)-they match the length of the picking hand and 2)-they never touch wood on the fret board.

Been using short Revlon metal nail files (course one side and fine the other) for about 20 years now. I break the handle off short on one, and keep it in my wallet. There's another in the pick drawer of each guitar, and another in my practice area.

Many times I've had other players ask to borrow one at gigs and jams.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bp

I never cut nails. Nail clippers split the ends of nails and start cracks running down them. If you ever split one you will not likely clip anymore either.

I file nails as often as needed. It's not on a schedule. If I play more, I'm probably filing less because I'm an all flesh player with a hint of nail, and I strum with the backs of nails (middle and ring), and the side of the thumb nail for upstroke. Chunky strumming I do with thumb & 1st nail.

This wears then nails on my picking hand down. They mostly just need reshaping.

The fretting hand as needed so 1)-they match the length of the picking hand and 2)-they never touch wood on the fret board.

Been using short Revlon metal nail files (course one side and fine the other) for about 20 years now. I break the handle off short on one, and keep it in my wallet. There's another in the pick drawer of each guitar, and another in my practice area.

Many times I've had other players ask to borrow one at gigs and jams.

Borrow a nail file? I see that as borrowing a toothbrush. No thanks.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Borrow a nail file? I see that as borrowing a toothbrush. No thanks.
Hi 1n

I've gifted a few of them 'on the spot'. They are only a buck apiece.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
I had the fingernails on my fretting hand surgically removed so I wouldn’t have to worry about the nails. .
Interesting, Hogan, verrrrrry interesting.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Probably not enough haha Every week and a halfish

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM

I never cut, always file. It seems like I'm doing some sort of nail maintainence daily. My nail length will depend on my needs for the week. Acoustic guitar needs a bit longer nails, bass requires shorter nails. Nails are always getting roughed up, I always keep a nail file with me.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-04-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I had the fingernails on my fretting hand surgically removed so I wouldn’t have to worry about the nails. Picking hand just a touch up every few days.
Lyle, I just read this and my finger tip on my left hand just dove into my pocket and won't come out.

I've tried to talk them out saying it's ok don't worry and all I heard was a very muffled hell no.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Really?

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
This reminds me of a friend in college who remarked to another dorm-mate that during finals week he was using iced tea intravenously to help stay up late and study.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I never cut, always file. It seems like I'm doing some sort of nail maintainence daily. My nail length will depend on my needs for the week. Acoustic guitar needs a bit longer nails, bass requires shorter nails. Nails are always getting roughed up, I always keep a nail file with me.
I have gotten to the point where my nails are much healthier if I file more often and not have to clip them. And as you, vb1, it totally depends on my needs from week to week. Some activities are harder on nails than others. It is amazing at how one can get roughed up just doing regular chores around the house.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion