The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM

Default Larrivee Neck Measurements

Good morning everyone. Does anyone have the actual neck measurements on a Larrivee? Not radius, but the depth at the 1st fret? 5th?

I’m finding that problems with my left hand cramping aren’t so much about the shape of a neck as the depth. And I can’t remember/never wrote down measurements on my old Larrivee.

Any help appreciated!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Matt...you might do best to just call them. All I really remember (it's been a while since I owned one) was the fretboard was a bit flatter than the standard Martin 16" radius. I don't remember them being uncomfortable but how full or thick the neck profile is I can't tell you?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Matt...you might do best to just call them. All I really remember (it's been a while since I owned one) was the fretboard was a bit flatter than the standard Martin 16" radius. I don't remember them being uncomfortable but how full or thick the neck profile is I can't tell you?
Thanks Jim! I shot over an email last night to customer service, and got a quick response! Unfortunately, I failed to ask this question on that email! I replied back to ask about it, but it's still early on the west coast. Figured I'd try my luck here and on the other forums while I was at it.

I searched the archives a TON last night, and while there are copious threads about the neck shape/radius, I couldn't find anything about the actual measurement. Would love to see a profile view, a la Martin/Collings, et al.

Also, for the record, I believe Larrivee went to a standard 16' radius on their fretboards in late 2017. I never had a problem with the compound radius, but I know some did.

I'm considering ordering another Larrivee, and I can't recall having trouble with the neck carve when I owned my last one, but it's been 3 years now. I'm not sure when my issues with thicker profiles began, and want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I only sold it because I couldn't afford to have 2 guitars at the time, and wish I had kept it!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Which one did you sell and what are you looking at now?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Which one did you sell and what are you looking at now?
I've owned two: an L-03 that I passed on to a young kid on the worship team at our old church, and an OM-40. I loved that OM-40. I had long looked for a companion to my old D18, and nothing fit...until that one. I only moved it on because I had left my job there and was relocating my family, and didn't need two guitars as bad as I needed the cash.

I fell in love with the tone of Larrivee the first time I played some, especially their mahogany models. The OM-40 took their tone and added a bit of bass, and I was hooked. So I'm looking at that again. :-)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I like their mahogany models better too. I had an old (Canadian built) L-03 I should have held onto. Good luck with your search...hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Just received this response from Larrivee, if anyone is every curious:

"flat C at the first fret. Generally 21mm thick and either 1-3/4" for most or 1-11/16" for dreadnought nut width."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion